Sign in to follow this  
Buckfarrack

3rd Annual NAGF Illinois M&G, Clinton Lake SP, Oct 2-4 2015

434 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Sounds like a good place to me WITH TWO (2) REQUIREMENTS.

1st you put a sign out that says F-Loop

2nd  you find Chromo a picnic table....

:thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Buckfarrack

Heya yooperfan,PLAN ON IT! Best group of folks you could ever be around. We'll have PLENTY of lousy food, warm beer and tasty wines,but You will have too much fun.

Sure like to put a hand shake on ya buddy.

Let us know if we can better accommodate you and yours in any way, to make the SHORT trip to our meet! 

Buckfarrack

LoL...I hear that Gary! Ha,Chromo would be lost if we didn't have a pic-a-nic table to crash on,and a place to set his warm beer case on. :roflmao:

Yeah you right,we would need a F-Loop Camp sign,along with all your great direction signs put up.Those are awesome. 

Chromo

Cool, just don't put my bed err.... table to close to the cliff!

I don't want my beer rolling over the edge if it falls off the table. I worry about things like that. LOL

Or some of those PBR haters may try to make a contest  of throwing them over the cliff the farthest!

• Like 1

Buckfarrack

What up Jack! Go ahead,pull the trigger,whatcha have in mind buddy???

Chromo

If we do the M&G at your place is there a way to keep a 5gal keg cold for the weekend.

I need to brew up some home brew beer for myself and might try to do some extra.

Buckfarrack

Sure Chromo! We can keep that sucker cold even if i have to dig a hole,lined with trash bag to drop it in.

BEER,yeah,we'll get it chilled.

Sounds good!

Chromo

Cool!

I'll try to get some extra brewed up, maybe a couple flavors.

Dusty Boots

Does that mean you'll be bring more than one 5 gallon Keg, Chromo?

youngnbald

Now that I have to see packed on the bike!!!

• Like 1

Chromo

Does that mean you'll be bring more than one 5 gallon Keg, Chromo?

Probably,

I think one for me should be enough so might bring a second in case others want some too.

Chromo

Now that I have to see packed on the bike!!!

Hey, I could do it, you seen me pack without a trailer before, anything is possible LOL

I'll most likely bring a trailer though if bringing beer kegs.

Now, is a keg with a tap considered an open container I wonder? LOL

All these years thinking I'd like to have some extra gas in a reserve tank for some trips, never thought about mounting an extra 5gal keg or 2 on the bike! I bought 5 of them a few years ago and ain't used one yet cause I always bottled the beer.

youngnbald

On the calendar and ready to go!

Buckfarrack

HAY  JACK.........................

i'll donate $500 if you and your wife show up!.

Donna and I only have friends.We love you and your wife..WTH?

Monkeytrucker

Hey Buck,

How about instead of F-Loopers we make one saying F'ing-Loopers.  Already looking forward to the IL M&G.  Who would have thought 2 guys deciding to meet in the middle would evolve into such a great event complete with Spin-Off M&G's such as the Blue Ridge M&G.

Have the Dusty Boots bumper on the Aspen which BTW is a great looking and functional addition.  Got the red LED strips while we were in Carbondale getting the Frankenstein look stitched into my head. 

The lights look great in the bumper.  The only way I would change the bumper is if I could find some 1" by 2" aluminum extrusions with T rails on one side.  Would save a couple of pounds.  The only other question is how big of a battery it will take to power 2 C-Pap machines if we camp somewhere off the grid.

I also removed the black lettering below the Aspen emblem on the back.  It just made that side of the trailer seem out of balance. 

• Like 1

jobe05

Have the Dusty Boots bumper on the Aspen which BTW is a great looking and functional addition.  Got the red LED strips while we were in Carbondale getting the Frankenstein look stitched into my head. 

The lights look great in the bumper.  The only way I would change the bumper is if I could find some 1" by 2" aluminum extrusions with T rails on one side.  Would save a couple of pounds.

Pictures or it didn't happen........

And if it didn't happen, no one is going to see you and they run into the back end of your trailer.........  Better get a pic posted to be safe......

Buckfarrack

How-do Gary! 10-4 on the red LED lights.Bet that'll light'er up well.

Soooo,like John sez....Lets see'em :P

Take care of that noggin.Glad you didn't break any bones.

Chromo
 The only other question is how big of a battery it will take to power 2 C-Pap machines if we camp somewhere off the grid.

Well if 12V check how many amps they draw when running (or read the info sticker or manual if it tells) and do they run constantly or just on and off all night?  Figure the amps used and how many hours of use you need per charge, and that should give you the size battery you need. Then allow for a good bit of extra power to make SURE you don't run short.

If 120V and you need to run them from an inverter, you can get a Watt Meter you plug into in outlet and the device into the meter, that will tell you allot of things. What the amps or watts are when running, leave it on as normal for 12 or 24 hrs and it will tell you total power used in either watts or amps.

That Watt meter should work well on house power with only 1 machine running for 12 or 24hrs, or use adapter and run 2 at same time, once you know the total watts used for the full day, divide by 12V and you know how many amps the battery HAS to have bare minimum.

Say it's 1200 watts total, at 12V that is 100amps. If this is a critical have to have device then I would go for at least 200amps just to make sure!

If you power direct from battery at 12V no problem, if you have to use an Inverter and power it on 120v then do not forget to add extra for the inverter losses.

I loved those Watt-A-Meters, I had/have 2 somewhere I think. Don't have a clue where though now, I used them allot years ago to measure all my house stuff like Frig, Computers, etc. etc... to figure the size battery bank I wanted for backup power when the grid goes down. I then re-wired many important things to a 5K Matrix unit  with a 48V battery bank.

Now if power goes off I only know it when I see the Microwave is not lit up. LOL

I bought mine online before they were sold very many places and was rather expensive. I think HF has them now for around $15-$20 or so.

kamikaze84

Reply after doing some research on the cpap question 1 marine deep cycle battery should power 1 machinge for 3 days with the humidifier. I would test this at home for a few days and see the outcome. Let me know I was planning on getting a deep cycle battery for the camper for those time I want to do a little more rustic camping. 

Chromo

From what I found power use may vary allot based on settings and rather humidifier used and if it's heated, so power use depends on how it is used. Also by model I'm sure.

Here is a page that may be useful reading, but may or may not apply to other units besides that one.

http://www.cchipman.com/cpap_on_batteries.htm

Of the 20 units I found at one location 16 do have a direct 12V port or connection, 4 do not.

I read something somewhere saying for at least one model when running on direct 12Vdc that the Humidifier is not powered, I don't know if that is the same for all, just that one, or what.

Really need to look at the specific units to be used, how they are used etc...

Should be info in the manual or be able to find it online somewhere.

Monkeytrucker

I think the problem with the battery is taken care of.  They had to replace the batteries in my power chair and I kept the old batteries.  Did a load test on them and found only one battery failed the test so I have a 51 amp hour battery that I will use.  It is heavier than I would like and a little bigger but the price is right and it should run the machines for a couple of days.

I am going to run the 12v wire from the bike battery thru the connector so the battery will be charged while running.  I am going to put a 20 amp circuit breaker along with a relay so the camper will be disconnected from the bike when the bike key is turned off.  Should stop any chance of running the bike battery down when we are off the grid.

The power supplies for the C-Pap machines are 12v 5 amp supplies.  My guess it that they will draw 3 amps.  So if one figures 10 amps of draw times 8 hours that is 80 amp hours.  Since I am guessing (I have the connector and am going to put an ammeter in line to determine the exact draw) the units will draw a total of 6 amps that will calculate to 48 amp hour needs on the battery.  I am thinking that if we forego the humidifiers the draw might be even less, but testing will give the proof.

Of course living off the grid is not really planned.  But if we park in a WalMart lot or somewhere we cannot run an extension cord to a plug we could do it. 

Being I have to go get the stitches removed from my head and the Doc to take a look at all of the hematomas that are still showing up I hope to put a picture up this evening of the Dusty Boots designed bumper with the lights in it.  I still would like to find some aluminum extrusion pieces 1" by 2" that have T slots on one side or even all four sides.  Then the bracket to mount them would be easy.  Display racks or equipment racks would be great donors but finding them is the problem.

Buckfarrack

I got juice down at my camp Gary,so no worries there.When we went to Yella-stone,i found a website freecampsites . A guy would be surprised at how many small towns and such let you stay at their city parks or fairgrounds overnight for free.Most with free electric. We should have taken advantage of a few of them on our 24 day trip.Colorado state parks charged about 33 dollars a night,then had PAY SHOWERS that cost us about 5 bucks a head.EVERY place we camped out West was over 30$ w/electric. 

Chromo

Ya. I like free!

Sometimes they not the best, but the price is right.

Sometimes they ARE the best!

I been to a few pay places I would never go again, and some free ones I'd like to go back to again sometime if I could remember where they were. LOL

kamikaze84

So Buck are we staying at your campground for this event?

Moderator: the question of location has been resolved...it's at the same location as previous years. Clinton Lake SP

Monkeytrucker

I have the idea that there are small places to pull off the road and just set up the camper.  If truckers are able to park and sleep in many places then I suspicion that one might just pull into a small town and ask a local constable where one could spend the night.  With their blessing a local park just might be available.  About the worse that one could get, other than a trespassing ticket, if someone complains about you setting up at the entrance to a field is that you would have to pick up and move.  My guess is that a handshake and a smile plus some hospitality just might smooth the situation.  That and a promise you will leave no trace.  Actually one might just go up to some farmers house and ask if you could set up on the edge of their property and find a place.  Most farm people are great and sharing a story or two and maybe a couple of bucks for electricity could make for some interesting times.  One just might get told about an interesting local sites to see.

In cogitating while typing an idea popped into my empty space between my ears.  Take some printed sheets telling how you are traveling on the generosity of people willing to let one set up camp on their place.  Explain how you are going to include pictures in an electronic story put on maybe YouTube and would like to put their picture in the story.  I am giving serious thoughts about doing just that.  Who knows, "The travels of two old Moto-Campers" just might get some subscribers.

Got the stitches out this morning and the Doc said "That Damned Plavix" in explaining the bruising still showing up.  The said the bruising was deep and some are still going to show up.  I was taking a drug called Aggrenox to prevent strokes.  However GWB's Medicare part D does not want to cover it.  So the cheaper Plavix had to be substituted along with aspirin.  At least the Donut Hole is supposed to be shrinking.  The pharmaceutical companies got the implementation of Part D delayed for a couple of years so they could triple the prices of drugs.  Maybe a ride down to TX and go across the border to get the same meds at enough savings to pay for the trip.  Or up to Canada.  Maybe Dusty Boots could start renting mail boxes so one could claim a Canadian address and enjoy cheaper meds.