Sign in to follow this  
Buckfarrack

3rd Annual NAGF Illinois M&G, Clinton Lake SP, Oct 2-4 2015

434 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Made it to wendover, nv. Went to Bonneville s alt flats. Hit the rev limiter in three gears. On the access road. No speed trials this year unless you did it in a boat.

We are getting excited about the M&G. Sounds like a record event this year. It is all jacks fault!

Parman

Glad you and Estella are having a great time. One of these days I will have the time to make a trip like that. Looking forward to seeing pictures and stories of your trip.

Dusty Boots

Glad your trip has been stellar and safe, so far Gary!   :thumbs-up:

Don't let your guard down as the homeward leg can be more dangerous due to anticipation of seeing the local cows!    :SmileyTooth:

Beth

Don, that's the first thing I said to Jack - "Don (and yes, Daniel) will help us cook up a breakfast feast".  Surely there is no chance our fires will burn as cold as they did last year; but I'm planning around it just in case.  We'll have the gourmet chafers from Hamilton's Catering to keep our food warm.

• Like 1

Parman

You know I got your back Beth. I'm looking forward to another great weekend. Let me know if you need me to bring anything. I do have a 2 burner Coleman stove I'll be bringing this year.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Well friends. We are ready for the IL M&G. We got home at 4:00 pm today. 6,883.7 miles in 26 days. Not bad for two old people who left for a under 2 week trip.

Only close calls while underway was when a truck in front of a truck we were getting ready to pass blew a tire. Heard the boom and both us and the truck we were passing laid on our brakes hard to miss the pieces. He got the big parts and we wove thru the rest. The other VERY close call was when some idiot from East St. Louis decided to cross 3 lanes to get off the interstate. This is no kidding, we could have touched the side of his truck as he came down our side.

As far as accidents we saw? One where the car had slide across the two east bound lanes went rolling into the wide medium and ended up outside the west bound lane. The car was torn open and the state trooper who was on the scene already had a tarp over the drivers compartment. One rear ender on an access road and one car into the catch wires into the medium.

Estella just came back here and delivered some bad news. A breaker had popped and the freezer was on it. Still has some frost on the inside so it might not be a big loss.

Would we do it again? Well right now we would say no. But then we have had a time of our lives. Only the empty bank account can tell.

• Like 2

erwjww

Glad ya had a great time and that ya made it home safely. IL MnG will be here before ya know it. Man time is flying by.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Amen Jack,

Ain't it nice that a fine upstanding individual jumped up at the wrong time and got the controls>>>>

We were in Boonville, MO today getting fuel and a guy came up and said "You were at Meadows of Dan a couple months ago." Being I do not recognize faces very well I had to admit he had me at an disadvantage. He was the KTM rider that stayed at the bottom of Willville campground. After thinking a bit his face came back to memory. I think we as a group invited him to share vitals. He had a co-rider today and she was riding an older BMW. Small world!

kamikaze84

I will definitely help with breakfest I will be brining down the pop up camper this year and it does have a 3 burner stove so if we do have to cook inside we have a back up. Speaking of which if anyone would like to stay in the pop up I have an extra bed. I will book a site if anyone is interested in camping in it.

• Like 2

Parman

6 more weeks until IL M&G. Looking forward to getting together again.

Chromo

Glad everyone is staying safe and happy to hear of the great trip!

Well kill off another 4 picnic tables off my bucket list! LOL

Fed up with a friend putting me off on a property deal last week I told him I was now too busy to mess with it! I took off and made my first big trip of the year early this week, which for me was not really much!

I rode up North of Effingham Il and got caught in some minor rain storms, lot's of lighting and some big stuff for a bit. I needed to kill time anyway as I would have got to Chicago way to early for the person I was meeting.

Picnic Table #1, rest area somewhere north of Effingham IL on I57! This was a nice clean friendly spot! The picnic table was well kept and the paint was nice, the lighting was just right, nothing to bother me but I could see all around and also the 99 in the parking lot.

Only issue was some folks in a Uhaul pulled in and it seemed every time they moved in the truck the rear lights came on! Some kid was restless and though he was quite he was in and out must have been 20 times and every time those danged lights came on!\

I got to Chicago about 6-7am and met up with IraqiRam to get I seat I bought, reason for the trip! Really a nice guy and fun to meet and talk with for a bit.

I rode over to OH. to see some bikes I thought about buying, wanted the 1500 and we came to a nice price, then I saw the coolant leak spots under it so now no idea on buying it.

Was going to go to Moms, but I called from only 150 miles away and she said " I ope you did not ride all this way to vist, we are leaving at 5am to go to MI. " CRY.

So though I could have gone to her house and sat by myself for 3 days I rode home instead!

Storms in lower Oh. throurgh IN. were there but not so bad, wet and cool, mostly dark and extremely hard to see a black road in wet of black night!

Got to love the HY department and those nice deep wobbly grooves they like to cut in roads about 12" wide with no warnings in construction areas!

Almost went down 3 times! I mean I get caught in that crap sight unseen full of water it just looked like the normal road till it grabbed the tires!

At 65mph and a semi comes my way and I hit the groove and go his way ALLOT in the higher winds, I could have wrote my name on side of his truck if a had a marker handy!

Well, I made it past INDY as I wanted to be sure to miss that nut house rush hour in morning and I stopped at Pickic table #2 on down the road LOL

This was a nice clean rest area also, little traffic running through it. Table was fine though a bit lumpy, raining out a good bit but I stayed dry under the table roof!

I got up a bit later, took off down road in middle of night still and stopped again #3 in a great place but forget where! This one was really great though!

I could see my bike easy, the table was rather far away from parking, in the dark so no light bothering me directly. It was a 4 bed room, pavilion roof over 4 tables. LOL

Now I know Jobe05 did not like Boomland in Charleston MO when he camped there a couple years ago!!

I must say though, I had a nice sleep on table #4 at what is called a city park over by the U shaped pond! I arrived about Noon or so I guess and only 150 miles or so from home and no rush and a bit tired I stretched out on a table there a few hours! It was a pretty nice place, day use only though.

I was not really stopping to sleep, I just hurt allot and needed to stretch out for awhile. It was probably the best sleep the whole trip though!

Weather was great, cool and dry. Well until the sun shifted and then my legs got baked and I had to get up and move a bit.

Camp ground and rest rooms and such Jobe05  said was rather bad when he stayed there, so I avoided that since I was day use only and the table was great! LOL

I need to get a list of folks with picnic tables in back yards for my next trip!

I thought about giving MonkeyTrucker a yell but thought they were still on the trip!

Course I needed a covered table to sleep on for this trip with all the rain,  I just took off with nothing and figured a Wal-mart was always near if I needed to buy clean clothes or dry clothes or a Wet suit, etc.. etc.. so had NO tent, NO blankets, NO pillow, only the bike me and some very basic basics.

Well at least I got away from home for a few days and got in over 1500 miles of riding total I guess.

Wow, for this time of year and that was my biggest trip so far, I had a bad year, but it soon should be better! Starting for ES labor day I expect about 6 weeks on road off and on here and there!

I thank Jobe05 for the Hazmat type suits he gave me last year when I ruined the FrogTrogs I had. This was the first time I actually been in the rain and needed them since I got them and the one I wore was really great to have!

And although this may still be my lowest mile year to date at this time so far since 2010, I guess I still live up to the honor of my picnic table award of last year I so proudly received and Cherish!

Hi HO Hi HO, next week off to Dallas to find a table I go! LOL

• Like 3

Monkeytrucker

Hey you old picnic table tester. Sorry you had a wet trip. Other than 50 miles of rain in IL while escaping IL we only had 2 little 3-5 minute wets just west of Wendover, NV. Tried to drag some of the rain to our western folks but it kept unhooking from the camper.

Chromo

Well I post postponed my Dallas trip and probably just cancel it completely now.

I am doing a nightmare tire change on 95 and NOTHING has gone right so far!

Started on Sunday, now Tues. and near half back together!

I plan to ride the 95 as always to the events and especially the IL meet in Oct. and probably be pulling a trailer with it everywhere..

Nothing wanted to come apart easy as it should have. Left muffler would not loosen to turn down even with clamp off, I did the up and over method this time, was not easy to get bags/frame up. NOW impossible to get it DOWN and lined correctly.

It's down now, going to take bags off now to get things lined up correctly. Only advantage to up and over really for me was I hate to take off my hitch, it's a pain to deal with, so I was able to leave it on and just remove front clamp bolts. Now I have to take the bags off anyway! :(

Being gone most the time, friend and I was supposed to brew up beer at his house, another thing not yet done. Hard to get him away from TV to do anything or his wife. Even when we went riding most the time can't get them out of the house before 2pm.

I was planning to bring some home brew to the meet this year, I may or may not get it done now.

I've got to get this 95 done and checked out and may need some more work on it still, I was getting a weird wobble in tight turns and HOPE rear tire was the issue, if not I'll be digging into front end next.

I have to dig out all the beer stuff, clean everything well of course, and that probably take at least a whole day, then almost a day to brew it up. About 4 weeks to ferment maybe 5, and get it bottled still. I might get it done in time, but time is rather close.

I also still need to work on my trailer so I have a way to haul it.

I could keg the beer, and that was what I was thinking of doing, but I never got around to buying a CO2 regulator or tank yet. Kegging would be better than bottling and also save allot of time though.

Alex Bevelheimer

dad and I might show up   I wont be 100%  until  mid to late September   do you have to pre-pay for the sites?  or is it pay as you show up     

I lost my last info     had to make a new account   

Parman

You should be able to get a site when you show up. If you come we will make room.

Halfling

dad and I might show up   I wont be 100%  until  mid to late September   do you have to pre-pay for the sites?  or is it pay as you show up     

I lost my last info     had to make a new account   

Alex, did you mean you lost your NAGF account info? If so, it can be easily recovered for you. Just let me know anything you can about your previous account and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Monkeytrucker

Have no fear, the great wizard of NAG is there. Faster than a speeding keyboard more powerful than a transistor.....

Going to the big Street Rod show in Evansville, IN tomorrow. The bride decided that we will haul the power chair in its trailer behind the Fiat. Wing is still in the doctors office awaiting their opinion. BTW, I found the warranty expired on the same night we were in the Craters Of The MOON. So anything will cost me.

So I decided to check why the trailer ate 2 tires so quick. Found 1/2" of toe in. So now I am going to have to press that out of it. No big deal, just another aggravation. At least I will get it a lot closer to true. What do you expect from a HF axle that evidently has warped from road shocks.

m2102

Terri and i talked about going this year if even only for a day. We didn't make it last year and unable to this year. We will be suffering in Palm Springs Ca for the month. We will be there to welcome our new grand daughter.

thecruiser

There is a good chance that I won't have to cancel this trip. I'm one-step closer to getting a 'new-to-me' bike. Finally heard from the Senior Loss Adjuster of my Ins Co.

He assigned a figure of value to my bike. I thought it was low and asked if he was aware if the different levels of factory equipment,... he wasn't. He didn't know the model number either. The Vin number apparently doesn't give the equipment on the bike and as we know some are 'plain janes' with just Premium Audio and some have everything including an air bag. Mine was a level 3, everything but an air bag. So he's going to recalculate and get back to me.

The figure he shot did not include any optional equipment I had added. Once he gets that list, he'll deal with it too.

I'm hoping to get things settled this week and get on to my search for a new Ride.

• Like 2

mailman01

Good luck with your hunt, Larry.

• Like 1

jobe05

Good luck with the insurance Larry, and the search for another wing.  I know it will be hard to find the right one, as your always going to compare it to your old one......

Again, I wouldn't worry about a bike for this outing, many of us pull our trailers behind the car.  That time of year in Illinois, weather is very unpredictable, might pack shorts and T's, or break out the carharts and Winter coats......  Which I know have thanks to a couple of trips to WalMart during last years outing..........

Monkeytrucker

Illinois weather? It could be snowing or 80 degrees and sunny. First year had some sprinkles but was nice. Last year was a little bit cold and windy. Our Canadian friends sat there in shorts commenting on the nice weather. But then the Maple Mist might have had something to do with that.

Tent heaters were nice. Our trip out west made us realize that the Aspen has more volume to heat so a little bigger heater is definitely in the works.

Also be sure to have an insulated sweat shirt or something to wear inside your insulated gear. I think ou group bought out all that Wal-Mart had.

Hey it is getting closer to the great weekend. Great friends, great place, great times. Oh, did mention anything about dead pig ribs?

• Like 1

Galaxyhunter

T minus 31 days & counting.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

• Like 1

thecruiser

And I'm getting closer to settling with my Ins Co and getting another bike. None too soon, I might add.  :angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

Alex Bevelheimer

I google mapped how to get there but whre at exactly are you guys staying so far I have the time off work and dad is going to camp with me    is there a website for the campground?