Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
beenshot

Our new camper

32 posts in this topic Last Reply

beenshot

2006 Aspen Classic

001_zpsgkfp9mta.jpg

002_zps2fnorkd5.jpg

004_zps2odpoub0.jpg

mowerdoc

nice look'in rig all you need now is spring

jobe05

That looks nice Larry!!  Congratulations!

What size tires are on that, looks like car tires.

beenshot

It has 13's on it John.

Buckfarrack

Dam looks like new.I like that bumper.I got a place to plug it in.Gonna finally be setting our place up next month.Hope to have it all ready by the end of March so get ready buddy.

Nice looking rig.

You know when we bought ours,it's been almost 5 months and I still haven't received the license plate for it from the idiots that run this crummy state.They issued a temporary cardboard tag that rotted and fell off coming back from Texas.Sometimes it take them 3 weeks and sometimes it takes them a half a year.NUTS.

beenshot

Rod, I'm ready!!!!!!!!!! come on spring.

Did you notice the Harley emblems on it? It looks good because it sat in a metal shop building all of it's life.

I bought it from a friend about 5 miles down the road that bought it new and he only pulled it to Cave in Rock 3 or 4 times.

Buckfarrack

Wow that's about what i thought.Looks like it was barely used.Cave in Rock /HogRock Rally,man if that camper could talk.LoL

beenshot

yep, the rally is where it's been.

maybe I need to get a personalized plate for it.......XXX 001.... :roflmao:

AZgl1800

Hey, that trike is the right color, but that trailer sure does need a paint job :Face-Smile-Big:

Parman

Congratulations Larry. That is the same year as mine. You will enjoy it a lot more than sleeping on the ground. Can be kept warm inside with a small electric heater.

youngnbald

AC does an excellent job too come summer!  Loving mine.  Simple things like buying a tarp and stitching Velcro on one side makes for a great sun shade off the sides.

beenshot

Finally gonna stay a night in the camper, although, in the yard. :SmileyTooth:

Wanting to see if the stock mattress pad is gonna be good enough.

003_zpsdb3jc09k.jpg

004_zpssvd6xfla.jpg

006_zpsbae4piyl.jpg

jobe05

I was able to add a 1 1/2" king size memory foam mattress pad for mine.  I cut it to the size of the two mattresses, which are two different sizes in mine.  When I sleep alone, I just stack those two halves and it's very comfortable.  The camper closes fine with the added hight.

beenshot

One thing that I have realized is that the bed is not a standard size. It is the length of a California King but 4 inches narrower.

beenshot

Well, it's morning and all is well. We didn't really have an issue with the mattress so will just use it as is for now. :thumbs-up:

Monkeytrucker

Estella and I went to Lincoln Trail SP for a tow and camp trial run.  The trailer towed great.  When I went to unhook it to set up I found that the weight on the tongue was almost neutral.  I have a 33 lb. battery in the back and it really balances it to the rear.  We set up and after much discussion over the way to pack the next time we enjoyed the first night.  The mattresses need some help in comfort but we will take care of that soon with some memory foam. 

The first morning we woke up to rain.  Actually that was a good learning experience.  When it stopped we rode over to Terre Haute, IN to see what we could get at Gander Mountain.  We got sticker shock.  We wanted ponchos, a LED lantern and some old fashioned mess kits.  Well not for the money they wanted.  Bought eight .47 cent tent pegs.

We then went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of very cheap ponchos for use until we got our really good ones back at home.  We also bought some tarps and 100 ft. of glow in the dark rope.  The LED lanterns they had did not suit us so on the way back to camp we stopped at WalMart and found a great size one for $13.  Also decided to treat ourselves to some thin sliced steak and a bag of lettuce mix.

Got back to the camp and set up the 11 by 11 tarp in a way Dusty would be proud of.  Even hung a smaller tarp on the back side.  Of course the predicted thunderstorms did not materialize.  We should have charged all of the fishermen for driving the rain away.  We decided that we are going to sew Velcro on the big tarp to attach to the front of the camper. 

When it rained we found that those front support poles are much needed as the front of the camper sagged from the rain weight.  The base of the painter poles ( found at Lowes for about $14 each) are going to get a cross bar to hold the tent bottom down at the door.  We are going to get 3 more of those poles for holding the front of the tarp and the center of the tarp in place.  We had found a perfect length stick to make the tarp center shape up like a circus tent in case of more rain.

When we packed for coming home we put the cooler back into the front basement with the 10 lb. of ice still in it and put all of the canned goods we are going to keep stocked in the camper for meals in the front basement.  With every item with weight in that cavity we did get some tongue weight.  The smaller cooler is going to get parked at home and a much bigger cooler is going to get mounted on the tongue. 

We had taken a big sleeping bag and a thick comforter to help with the mattress problem and found that they when folded in half length wise fit on top of the folded down structure and the cover still fit nicely.  In fact it probably stopped any flutter.

We are going to install those side holders like Dusty has to hold the poles and etc. but might make a modification to include some deep well storage on each side in front and behind the wheel wells to hold various items.  We also decided that we would use those WalMart type cooler bags to put items in so we could pull out canned supplies, clothes, camp items and other etc. items as needed.  Simply will label the handles so we can pull the one we want.  The A/C unit which is about 40 lbs. when we get it will be put into one of the basements as needed to balance the trailer.

As for towing with the longer tongue the trailer did not wag at all.  It was almost as if it were not back there.  We rode some of the steep hills in the park and the 1800 power, torque, handled it with no problem.  The cars and trucks were shifting down and the RVs were pulling hard on those very steep climbs out of the deep gullies. 

All in all the trip was a great successful learning time.  The main thing other than weigh balance was the need for more mattress foam.

Monkeytrucker

Well, it's morning and all is well. We didn't really have an issue with the mattress so will just use it as is for now. :thumbs-up:

Well Larry, I figure you had taken some of that make you sleep well elixir that is made down in the mountains of Arkansas.  Well that and you and Donna are youngsters and able to sleep anywhere. 

:roflmao:

Halfling

Well Larry, I figure you had taken some of that make you sleep well elixir that is made down in the mountains of Arkansas.  Well that and you and Donna are youngsters and able to sleep anywhere. 

So Larry, what are you and "Donna" doing sleeping together in your camper anyway? You should be ashamed of yourself!

: SURPRISE :

jobe05

beenshot

Belinda said it was ok this time, John. :SmileyTooth:  And, yes Gary, there was a small amount of an elixir involved but I'm not so sure about being young enough to sleep anywhere.

Monkeytrucker

Well I still will stick to you two being youngsters.  I am sorry about screwing up Belinda's name, old age memory you know.  But then you might have had a Donna in the camper.  You Arkies have been known to keep close friends. 

:roflmao:   :thumbs-up:

This old man spent an afternoon on the Allis Chalmers CA day before yesterday and am still paying for it.  It has no back rest so hanging onto the steering wheel for support took its toll on my back.  TG I have some muscle relaxers in addition to JOBE05's homemade elixir.

Did get the cooler mount finished yesterday and today I am going to make the clamps.  Made it lightweight using PVC fence.  That stuff is stronger than wood and a lot lighter.  The cooler is one of those really big ones and I intend to make compartments for the ice and other items.

One thing I need to work on is the setting on the electric brake controller.  Do not want them to lock up or brake too hard but do want them slightly noticeable.

Now try the camper out with a Sue, or a Mary, or a Jenny, or a Sally, or a Karen, or a ...... and give us another mattress report.

:jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon   and then duck when Belinda finds out  :puzzled-smiley-emoticon:   :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:   :Face-Crying:   :angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

youngnbald

Be sure to show photos of the work done for the cooler.  I need to rig something to support my cooler better.  Had a bungy cord snap and the cooler was drug in between the motorcycle and Aspen.  Cooler is now junk, but improvements will need to be made.

Monkeytrucker

Be sure to show photos of the work done for the cooler.  I need to rig something to support my cooler better.  Had a bungy cord snap and the cooler was drug in between the motorcycle and Aspen.  Cooler is now junk, but improvements will need to be made.

OK here goes, this is the frame put together. I forgot to take pictures of how each part went in. I cut strips of 5 quarter treated deck boards that went in on edge. I put some screws in them to hold them in place. When I drilled the mounting holes it gave strength in that spot as it would not compress.

IMG_9268_zpsg7txjbxk.jpg

Here is the corner and you can see the wood in it and how it was put together.

IMG_9271_zpspkghjvfz.jpg

Trial fit and it shows the wood.

IMG_9278_zpsitdnl0vj.jpg

How I cut the plastic fence rail.

IMG_9280_zps4ib0yekg.jpg

Here are the brackets. Cut and hammered them out of the same piece of rusted out Chevrolet truck bed. You know it was the standard wave at people while going down the road option. I ended up only using the big ones.

IMG_9285_zpsturzdfqo.jpg

The base in the paint shop.

IMG_9288_zpsjwfh6mqn.jpg

A strength test of a piece of the fence rail. BTW, we got 50+ pieces from a dump a local farmer has. These were from a weaning pig operation.

IMG_9302_zpsovo5cnhj.jpg

Here is the finished project. Yes it is a big cooler but we had it already. We figure on making a center column to put a bag of ice in and the area on each side will hold food and drinks. We do not plan on loading it heavy. If we put the air conditioner in the rear basement we might be able to load a lot of drinks IF we decide to ride across Death Valley in August.

IMG_9308_zpsfwruvp3s.jpg

The cooler is held down by four (4) heavy duty plastic wire zip straps as we see no reason to take the cooler off.

Dusty Boots

I made my cooler rack out of some 1 1/2" AL angle, some pop rivets and 2 x 2" square shoulder U-bots

14890361308_c0843ebff6_z.jpg

14890400087_78e1c512a1_z.jpg

14890248218_800eb922d0_z.jpg

15076841955_9c14efb71d_z.jpg

15076841885_3b6bcb56cf_z.jpg

14890410387_73386038d7_c.jpg

14890148829_60519a7235_z.jpg

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Hey Dusty. Looks good. I used plastic simply because I had it. Aluminum would have been great but I would have to bought a 24' stick of it and they want the farm for it. I had steel like I used to make the Dusty Boots Bumper but when I hefted the amount it would have taken I changed my mind.

But hey, we have something in common with our designs.... They will not rust.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,