Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Boot

Time for a ride!

60 posts in this topic Last Reply

Boot

Getting cold weather gear and the bike ready for a Saturday 3 -4 day ride to Daphne, Alabama.... Enjoy the Mobile Bay Area..... It will be nippy and probably wet, but, I'll be dressed for the predicted weather......:doh:Saturday.............34* - 49* Sunny @ Pickwick Dam, TN 47*- 60* Sunny @ Daphne, ALSunday................71*- 53* 100% rain @ Mobile, AL area Monday................61*- 30* 60% rain @ Mobile, AL areaTuesday................51*- 29* 0% rain @ Mobile, AL area 35*- 21* 0% rain @ Pickwick Dam, TN

CB will be on Channel 19 for traffic while listening to the Blend and the Nascar Nationwide final race at Homestead.... Makings for a nice ride South! :wave:

k1w1t1m

Hope you have a great ride.

thecruiser

Have a good Ride, Chip. Hope it's warmer down there than up here in northern AL. We're in Gadsden and it will be in the 20's the next couple of nights. Brrrrrr :o

Boot

Good Saturday morning all..... 27* and clear, here at Pickwick Dam on the lake. Heading South around 8:30 with temps predicted to be 35* and sunny. It's all about electric clothing (in my case Gerbing's) and layered winter clothing. I often chuckle at cagers looking at the "Ole Man" riding in these temps......as I'm turning down my Gerbing controller. Check in later this evening.... Chip

rcameron

Be safe, Chip and watch out for the other guy! 2-3 inches of snow coming here in Kansas so I am getting ready to ride...........................ride a snow plow that is.............. Have a great trip!

:D

• Like 1

Flyone

Have a great ride!

thecruiser

Hey, if the roads are clear and yer battery's up,... why not!  Enjoy the Ride Cip.

Sent us a pic or two along the way.

Boot

Thanks Rex, Bill and Larry..... Left Pickwick Dam at 8:45am arrived 370 miles later at Daphne, AL at 2:30pm, and average of 64.347 mph with two gas stops. Never got off the bike, just pulled to the pump/swiped card/filled the tank and blasted-off.... It was Sunny, 35* at 9am, 45* at 10am and a high of 55*... Leaving Pickwick Dam, Tennessee I rode West to Corinth, Mississippi and took US 45 South to I-65 North of Mobile to I-165 to I-10 East thru the Mobile Tunnel across the Bay Bridge to Daphne and now in a Hotel... In a MICROTEL (which I've stayed before) with a good Mexican Restaurant, a Waffle House and a Good Oyster cafe all with in a short walking distance. (100 yards). All good! lol. Had my SPOT Connect on and appeared to be working, with NEW batteries, when I left, near the Alabama State Line I noticed the three top LED's were all flashing RED? And don't know why? Will replace batteries, hopefully that's the problem, since I've not had this problem before. Have business appointment Monday, and after was planning on riding back home. 80% rain predicted! I may just hang out around here and ride back Tuesday with 0% rain here...

If I can out run or ride around I'll decide Monday.... Nite!

• Like 1

Halfling

Safe travels Chip!

Boot

Thanks John..... It's a pretty morning, 56* Sunny with a predicted high of 70*. Later

• Like 1

rcameron

Thanks John..... It's a pretty morning, 56* Sunny with a predicted high of 70*. Later

56, Sunny, 70 predicted............................JEALOUS............................... :blink:

thecruiser

Chip,

Would you mind giving us a link to your Spot thingy?  It's always fun to watch your progress and "Ride along".

You chose a good Route down.

90% chance of rain here in Gadsden for Monday. Could be SNOW if it's delayed 'til Tuesday, with a low of 22* Monday night.

jobe05

56, Sunny, 70 predicted............................JEALOUS............................... :blink:

Not to mention that Oyster cafe............  Oh my........  I'd be in heaven.

Boot

Might know... The Oyster Cafe is closed on Sundays, none of my favorite Nascar drivers won today's Nascar race at Homestead, ordered Chinese delivered and I'm stuffed. All is good! lol. Larry, I sent you a text concerning my SPOT Connect and the web address. I share it with many to follow my rides, and haven't a problem sharing it here. Just don't know what and how to get it posted. Call me if you can help. Put another NEW pair of batteries in the SPOT, took it outside and it's up and tracking! Weather here looks like it will clear mid morning and looks favorable for the ride home to Pickwick Dam, Tennessee..... I'm wanting to get home before dark, it's easier on me and the Bambi's...... lol

jobe05

Your spot will maintain your trace won't it?  Then when you come back in range, or in this case, refresh the batteries, it will update your path online?  Isn't that how it works?

Boot

I believe one or both of the batteries were bad? SPOT Connect unit will work only using ENERGIZER Ultimate LITHIUM AA Batteries!

Replaced with new batteries and tested, it appears to be working A-OK! It tracked from Pickwick Dam, Tennessee to around Starkville/

Columbus, Mississippi area..... Saturday while riding to the Mobile, Alabama..... With my somewhat lack of computer skills , I don't know what information I need to provide here so someone would beable to check-in, type in the shared password I can provide and follow my travels. I'm sure it's a simple thing......but not for me! lol.

Buckfarrack

Have fun Chip! Sounds like a good trip to me...Too dam cold where i am at.

Boot

Good morning from Daphne, AL... Storm has passed but winds are blowing 20-25mph... Overcast with temp @ 50*... May head North towards home or at least part way. Pickwick Dam, Tennessee weather is Sunny and mid 30's*.. All good!!!

• Like 1

Guest NCGL1800

Ride safe Chip, let us know where ever you put up for the night.

thecruiser

Ride safe Chip, let us know where ever you put up for the night.

Yes,... We're watching you...  :ph34r:

Boot

Good morning all from "Home Sweet Home"........ Pickwick Dam, Tennessee  USA

All is good here, and all was good with the ride home from Daphne, Alabama yesterday.

What was not good......... While at an appointment (via Taxi due to wind and rain) I got a call from the hotel desk clerk saying my bike (with full cover on) fell over on its right side!  Oh no!!!  : CRY :    I asked the clerk not to up right the bike and would do so on return to the hotel.  Once back I noticed the bike was on the crash and handle bars with both tires off the ground.  With the help of the desk clerk "Mike" we righted the bike.  The damage:  the right side mirror glass and housing and the tip of the lower windshield of my Fire Creek smoked Windbender ST.....  I had parked the bike and remember thinking about the angle which was good, except it wasn't in the high wind gust yesterday morning at Daphne on the Eastern banks of upper Mobile Bay.

Oh well.........could have been worst!  Replacement parts to be ordered shortly!

The SPOT Connect tracker was working when I left Daphne, but checking the site this morning it tracked from Daphne across the Mobile Bay Bridge (I-10) to the North of Mobile City and quit?  Calling SPOT today as I believe it's a unit problem.  My SPOT Connect is now 2 1/2 - 3 years old...    The web address at the top of the screen when I pull up to check my ride on SPOT is: 

https://share.findnmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glld=1xYDclnlHVOlubi8FbINKNu7E8xN8QSoa       Password:  yellowhonda

I have sent (e-mailed) this to friends who are able to use this to track my ride, but I don't know how to "copy" and "paste" on to this site? 

The ride from Daphne to Pickwick:  At a few minutes before 11am, I headed North from the Hotel, the rain had stopped but not the wind!  Roadway was dry and the traffic was unusally lite.  Just North of the Alabama/Mississippi State Line on US45 I was on cruise control at 72mph when a new Lexus with a gal driver and a older (1980's type) pickup truck with a male driver passed me like a FLASH.  So..... I just tagged along for over 200 miles, with one gas stop together, until Tupelo, Mississippi where they slowed getting caught up in traffic and I went on.....  During this freight train I had my cruse on at a comfortable GPS reading of 88mph.

The total ride mileage was 378.... the total time of approx. 5hrs10min...three gas stops....

approx. average overall speed of 73.398....   Temperatures were 35* leaving Daphne, a high of 45* then dropped to 34* just prior returning to Pickwick Dam....

Slept good last night............  lol       Chip

Boot

Don't understand as it won't allow me to post the entire web site! 

jobe05

I gotta say Chip, Your one brave man to ride in 35 degree temps at those speeds......  At 30MPH to 45 MPH, I'd be ok.......  any faster and it's just to darn cold.  Of course, heated gear would make a big difference I guess.

Boot

Over the years, especially the past several years, on many of these forums I have learned how to layer dress for extremely cold and very warm riding conditions.... (Note... I wear all the gear all the time....PERIOD! ATGATT) I mentioned today to a friend at lunch about riding a CB750 in the early 70's in low 40* temperatures. Don't know how I survived the cold dressed as I remembered! lol. I'm not a gluten for punishment riding these temperatures, it's doable to many by dressing for the cold or warm temperature rides. With Ole' friends living near Roanoke, Virigina (600 mile ride) in July 2012 I rode home in 102* - 106* with ATGATT and it's doable but you just don't stop for long without shade!!! I always carry my homemade 1gal. Hydration/Camelbak bite valve system! Staying hydrated is very important on any ride! I just really enjoy riding.......think I may have some Gyspy in me? lol.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,