Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Jim in Illinois

My summer riding plans

54 posts in this topic Last Reply

Tattoo Taffy

[user=75]Vegaswingnut[/user] wrote:

You just have to dress for the heat and keep hydrated. I rode in 116 last year, record heat for Vegas. Now that was hot!:rage:

The hottest I've been in is 118 in Death Valley. I was on my v45 with no fairing. It was like riding in a convection oven.:disagree:

i hear that loud and clear vegas, it sounds a lot like it is here but we have 95% humidity during the summer...

mespock

[user=75]Vegaswingnut[/user] wrote:

You just have to dress for the heat and keep hydrated. I rode in 116 last year, record heat for Vegas. Now that was hot!:rage:

The hottest I've been in is 118 in Death Valley. I was on my v45 with no fairing. It was like riding in a convection oven.:disagree:

Dress for the Heat? What naked? You can only take off so much clothing.

I remember the first time I rode through AZ ... it was on my 78 wing I was trying to figure out how to bungee a igloo cooler to my bike and then attach clear plastic hose to I could stay hydrated.

That's when I learned to hate RV drivers on 2 lane hwys with traffic.

mespock

[user=760]Jim in Illinois[/user] wrote:

Well as time goes on plans change. It is now looking like we are going to look into pulling out of Vegas after 2 days and then instead of riding south through the desert and then home, we are going to ride west to the ocean and ride the PCH north into Oregon. After that, who knows but I am about ready to leave tomorrow!

Make sure to spend as much time as you can in Redwood National Park or drive the alt route through the trees not the main hwy.

That route off the main hwy through the tree is my favorite ride out west.

mespock

[user=2]devansgirl[/user] wrote:

[user=734]pwalter[/user] wrote:
I spent a couple days in Phoenix , it was 110 degrees for the high we played golf all day and loved it, it felt like it was a nice 80 degree day

Cuz its a "Dry Heat":yes::yes:

Right Dry Heat ... LOL .. Hot is Hot on matter what ...:baffled: Only time I felt 100+ to be not 100+ was when I was soaking wet after a day at Six Flags Great America .... and being soaked from those splash rides ...

Jim in Illinois

[user=25]mespock[/user] wrote:

Well as time goes on plans change. It is now looking like we are going to look into pulling out of Vegas after 2 days and then instead of riding south through the desert and then home, we are going to ride west to the ocean and ride the PCH north into Oregon. After that, who knows but I am about ready to leave tomorrow!

Make sure to spend as much time as you can in Redwood National Park or drive the alt route through the trees not the main hwy.

That route off the main hwy through the tree is my favorite ride out west.

Thanks! That is some of the handy info I can use. I am going to map out the trip as best I can and that is going to be put into the route!

Nomad

Hey, any of you guys who haven't ridden the great Southwest in summer, here's how you prepare for it:

1. Turn your oven to 500 degrees.

2. Stand in front of it wearing boots, jeans, jacket, & helmet.

3. Have everyone in your family aim a hair dryer turned to hot-high right at your face.

4. Stand there as long as you can stand it while they throw sand in your face.

I lived in southern NM for a year, and the best thing about it was being able to ride year-round. The mountains were great; the desert, not so great. And watch out for tumbleweed - they can get caught in your footpegs and really foul things up!

mikef

Only thing good about SW NM is the food. Now further north? Around Los Alamos is great. Love to take a bike there.

Jim in Illinois

Well we set a date and have some set plans now. We are pulling out of town at 8am saturday June 20th. We will ride from here to Grand Island Nebraske and stay the night. It will be a nice 500 mile cruise to get things rolling. The we pull out and head to Grand junction Colorado on sunday. 650 miles or so, now we're getting some miles:evil:. We leave out monday from Colorado and ride to Vegas. Another 550 or so. 3 days 4 nights in Vegas should be plenty. From there we take a short 350 mile ride to Santa Barbara California and watch the sunset over the ocean (I am particularly excited about this since I've never seen the ocean). After that, it's off to San Fran, on to Portland, Helena Montana and on to Deadwood SD. 2 weeks just me, the wife and the road. The only suck part about it is we won't be here for the meet in Muscatine. I do have a feeling we will be doing some riding with all of you this summer so we'll have to make up for it!

I am going to have the laptop and the cameras and take a ton of pics and some video. Everynight, I am going to upload the pics to a new Photobucket album and I'll post all of the details so if anyone wants to see our progress it will be right there.

Devans

3 days 4 nights in Vegas... is 2 days and 3 nights to many...:yes: First time Donna and I went, we stayed for 2 days... it was ok. This last time we stayed for 3 days, and it was blah. Its nice and all, but not really a long stay type of place. Gets boring very quickly.

I would compare to being at home, and having a new store open at the mall.... sure its fun to go visit it and see what they have, but after a few hours, you realize, its really all the same stuff, and all they really want is your money. :yes:

Sounds like a great trip though.

As for the videos and pics... :clap::banana::banana::banana::banana: :picture::picture::picture::picture:

mespock

Leaving June 20th ... Dessert areas will be very hot by that time.... Be prepared ...

Remember you are from a more northern climate ... you are not as prepared for the heat.

Also remember that along the ocean it will be cool ... ocean breeze will cause you to keep a coat on.

You'll love Oregon very beautiful state ... Make sure that if driving after 5 PM to make sure that you have a full tank of gas. Distances between cities at times is greater than you are use to in the Mid-West. Also the typical 24hr convenient store is not always open 24 hours out west. LOL Discovered this once in Oregon LOL ... Good thing the wing gets good gas mileage ...

mikef

You'll love Oregon very beautiful state ... Make sure that if driving after 5 PM to make sure that you have a full tank of gas. Distances between cities at times is greater than you are use to in the Mid-West. Also the typical 24hr convenient store is not always open 24 hours out west. LOL Discovered this once in Oregon LOL ... Good thing the wing gets good gas mileage ...

That's because Oregon does not allow you to pump your own gas, and these stations must be manned. Cost thing.

mespock

[user=12]mikef[/user] wrote:

That's because Oregon does not allow you to pump your own gas, and these stations must be manned. Cost thing.

I remember that ... LOL .... But what was funny was the guy would walk out then hand you the nozzle to fill the tank.

mikef

They do tend to be a bit more liberal (pun intended) when it comes to bikes.

Jim in Illinois

Thanks for the tips, guys. We are currently planning the trip to be all daylight hours as I don't want to be wandering around in the dark. So gas and such shouldn't be a problem. As for the heat, I know it gets hot in the desert at that time so I'll have a small cooler loaded with water and ice. I'm sure it's hot but I am quite familiar with hot, nasty conditions and thats also why we won't be spending to much time in the sand.:evil:

mespock

Thanks for the tips, guys. We are currently planning the trip to be all daylight hours as I don't want to be wandering around in the dark. So gas and such shouldn't be a problem. As for the heat, I know it gets hot in the desert at that time so I'll have a small cooler loaded with water and ice. I'm sure it's hot but I am quite familiar with hot, nasty conditions and thats also why we won't be spending to much time in the sand.:evil:

Well I was talking about daylight hours LOL...

Vegaswingnut

That is a great idea. The only question is , will the trunk lid handle the weight? I've got cracks on mine that tell me to second guess it.:disagree:

Maybe a one up aplication would work if the box will fit on the passanger seat.:baffled:

Devans

I wouldn't strap it to my trunk rack either, but in a one up situation it would be great.

Wvboy

I think its a good idea but I haven't seen a blower motor like that for a long time.

Jim in Illinois

Well, as things seem to have a way of going straight to hell quickly, we have cancelled the trip. We figured we weren't going to have enough money to do all the things we wanted to do so we are going to wait either until later this year or even next year. Instead, we are taking the boys and going to Hayward for a week in July. Fishing and taking the boys to the Lumberjack world championships sounds ALMOST as good as 2 weeks in the saddle so I'm not to bummed about it. This also frees me for the meet in June so I may just be there now!......:ponder:

Joep

Well, as things seem to have a way of going straight to hell quickly, we have cancelled the trip. We figured we weren't going to have enough money to do all the things we wanted to do so we are going to wait either until later this year or even next year. Instead, we are taking the boys and going to Hayward for a week in July. Fishing and taking the boys to the Lumberjack world championships sounds ALMOST as good as 2 weeks in the saddle so I'm not to bummed about it. This also frees me for the meet in June so I may just be there now!......:ponder:

Bummer on the canellation... was also gonna let you know about morning fog on the pch.. even in summer it can be thick... also in the evening pockets will develop.... 18 years of living on the coast.. learning to drive out there.. taught me to drive in fog.. and the pch is beautiful going north ocean on the left and mountains on the right.. sweepers that will amaze you.. and the scenes are just past the guardrails and don't go to far right.. there are the mountains.. oh and Hearst castle and Morro bay, Pismo Beach..

mespock

Hayward ..... Party Time .... Wisconsin Style .....

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,