Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Jim in Illinois

My summer riding plans

54 posts in this topic Last Reply

Jim in Illinois

Well, the wife and I have decided that we are going to put some major miles on this year so we have 3 trips in the works.

The first is going to be a quick weekend trip down to St. Louis with a few of my Chicago buddies. They want to go down and see the arch and eat at the floating McDonalds. Sounds like fun so we will probably do that early in the season.

Second is the circle tour. Ever since I started riding I wanted to do this ride around the lake. I have no desire to do it in under a day so I won't be entering the iron butt thing. I want to do it AND enjoy all of the scenery. That to will probably be like a 3 day weekend trip.

The last is the grand daddy. We are going to Vegas for a few days! 1632 miles 1 way and we're going to try and make it there in 2 and a half or 3 days. I'm not much of a gambler so other than cruising the strip and seeing the sights there's not much for me there. Her family on the other hand movedout there a few years ago so this will give her the a chance to visit them. This will take us from Illinois, through Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. I'm going to set out 10 days for this trip.

No dates have been set yet, but we are thinking June/July for Vegas and spotty weekends for the others.

Ghost Rider 2

Sounds like a gereat summer of riding to me. We have not a lot on our plate yet. A spring trip to Ky. Dean knows why!!. The trip to Muscatine in June. Hope to pull another longer trip later in the summer. Time and money will tell.

jpwalter

check out the I think my dad wants to do this thread.

Devans

We are planning some heavy riding this season also.

We want to take a trip out to Arizona for sure. :egypt:

We are also planning to go to the Eureka Springs Rally. :dance:

Definitely the Davis Rally again in New Hampton, Ia :yes:

Numerous trips to Anamosa, Ia to J&P Cycles. :winker:

Probably more than a few trips to Poopy's in Savana, Ill. :evil:

I would really like to do the Lake ride also.... not necessarily for the iron butt, but like Jim, just to enjoy it and take in the scenery. :looking:

Then who knows what else.... I know I would also like to go on a few shorter rides to meet some members who are close by, also. :banana:

Cactus_Jack

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

We want to take a trip out to Arizona for sure. :egypt:

You wanna come visit me already? I haven't even moved yet :looking:

mikef

That sounds like a great plan. I would love to do Vegas on the bike. Catch the Hoover dam while you're out there, go to Baker to check out the world's largest thermometer...eat at the Mad Greek's while you're there. Plenty of stuff to do around Vegas.

Hmmmmm..........:ponder:

Vegaswingnut

Hey Mike, how do you know of the Mad greek and the worlds tallest thermometer?

Bak1.jpg

Devans

world's largest thermometer... :doh::rofl::rofl:

that's as fun as the world's largest ball of twine :rofl:

05twine3.JPG

mikef

My oldest son lived in San Diego and Oceanside for about 18 years. Every year I drove out to see him. Made sure I came back through Vegas. The thermometer caught my eye, so I stopped to get gas. Mad Greek was in the area, so I ate there. Now, it's a tradition, every time I go back. That, and hitting In-N-Out before I leave Vegas.

Wow. 67 degrees. Every time I saw it, it was 100+

Devans

Hey.... I have one of those bears...:yes:

Vegaswingnut

The Mad Greek is one of those hidden treasure restaurants. It's always good food! Gotta love a good in-n-out burger!

Vegaswingnut

Nice teddy ya got there Dean.......:CRAZY:

It does look allot like it though ......:ponder:

I was on my way to Barstow to pass off Hobo to another saunders member.

( pre NAGF days)

Tattoo Taffy

hey Jim, possibly a bit early in the season to be boasting about trouble free riding and enjoying yourself in front of these fair weather riders....

Rudy

[user=12]mikef[/user] wrote:

Wow. 67 degrees. Every time I saw it, it was 100+

Vegas temps wait for no snowbound Wisconsin types.

mespock

Hey was that a rectal thermometer? :baffled:

I have heavy riding plans too. Get on the bike and ride.

That's pretty heavy .... LOL ....

Suggestion about Vegas do it in June while it's still cool. Early June. After that you will not like cruising Vegas ....

Vegaswingnut

Vegas in june is Just as hot as vegas in July and August........

The best time of year here is right about now. High about 70 with about 5% humidity and little or no wind! :running:

Mid summer riding is best done in the early morning when our lows are about 85 or so.:twitch:

Devans

[user=75]Vegaswingnut[/user] wrote:

Vegas in june is Just as hot as vegas in July and August........

The best time of year here is right about now. High about 70 with about 5% humidity and little or no wind! :running:

Mid summer riding is best done in the early morning when our lows are about 85 or so.:twitch:

Sounds like Arizona.... It was so miserable with the heat radiating off of the blacktop, that I never rode but 2 times down there. It was unbearable in the summer... it was the first time I had road a motorcycle at 60 MPH and sweated at the same time. :twitch:

Wvboy

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

Sounds like Arizona.... It was so miserable with the heat radiating off of the blacktop, that I never rode but 2 times down there. It was unbearable in the summer... it was the first time I had road a motorcycle at 60 MPH and sweated at the same time. :twitch:

No, No, No, its a dry heat :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Devans

It was dry.... 3-5% humidity....but its still hot as Hell :yes:

mespock

Sorry I don't buy that Dry Heat thing... been there done that...

Fricking dry heat is hot and burns the lungs ....

Humid heat just makes you sweat like crazy ...

When the temp is 115-120 doesn't matter it's HOT ....

pwalter

I spent a couple days in Phoenix , it was 110 degrees for the high we played golf all day and loved it, it felt like it was a nice 80 degree day

Devans

[user=734]pwalter[/user] wrote:

I spent a couple days in Phoenix , it was 110 degrees for the high we played golf all day and loved it, it felt like it was a nice 80 degree day

:clap: I agree:yes:

Vegaswingnut

You just have to dress for the heat and keep hydrated. I rode in 116 last year, record heat for Vegas. Now that was hot!:rage:

The hottest I've been in is 118 in Death Valley. I was on my v45 with no fairing. It was like riding in a convection oven.:disagree:

devansgirl

[user=734]pwalter[/user] wrote:

Cuz its a "Dry Heat":yes::yes:

Jim in Illinois

Well as time goes on plans change. It is now looking like we are going to look into pulling out of Vegas after 2 days and then instead of riding south through the desert and then home, we are going to ride west to the ocean and ride the PCH north into Oregon. After that, who knows but I am about ready to leave tomorrow!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,