Sign in to follow this  
Buckfarrack

UPDATE on my BIL in TEXAS

42 posts in this topic Last Reply

Buckfarrack

Hi y'all! First of all i want to THANK YOU for the prayers sent,and the Cards sent to my brother-in-law,Mike.Thank you all very much! What a great family we have here.

Mike had Bleeding on his Brain earlier this month,and we thought we lost him a few times.He's going through a very serious time right now,but the doctors working on him continue to perform miracles.

My SIL,Mikes sister,Sheila,is a Nurse at the same Hosptial in Austin that Mike is at.She keeps us updated with Mikes condition with a very thorough report,via; email.I can't Thank her enough.

Anyway,if you care to read,i will pass along some of the reports we have got from Sheila,about the process Mike is going through.Very,Very rough time the man is having,but there is still hope for him,and all your prayers and cards maybe be part of the reason for his success.Thank You!

--- Original Message --------

Subject: Update

Sent: 9:35PM, Thursday, October 30, 2014

To:

CC:

Just got home from the hospital. Mike is back in ICU 15. He was doing fine this morning according to his nurses in IMC who have had him for the past two days. He was oriented x3, knowing who he was, where he was and that it is 2014. He did complain of a headache. The routine CT done earlier today showed more swelling than it had been, so it was decided with c/o headache they would go ahead and place an internal brain drain, called a shunt. They planned it for am. Then about 5 pm, he stopped talking to the nurse and started acting more agitated again. So they did a repeat CT that showed no difference, however, they transferred him back to ICU to be able to monitor him closely again. He will have the shunt placed in the morning around 9 or 9:30. I will be working at Brack tomorrow so I will check in around 10-1030 to see if they are done. I will send an email out asap. I ran into Dr. Ziu, the neurosurgeon on my way in and he said it is not an emergent situation but he would rather do it before he transfers to Texas Neuro Rehab, since Mike is having symptoms. It is better to do it when it is not emergent.He will probably spend the night in ICU again before going back to IMC, then when he is stable and they are sure everything is working as it should, they will transfer him to rehab. We were hoping he wouldn't need a shunt, but better to find it out now then to have to transfer him back later. Will keep you all posted.Love,Sheila

• Like 1

Buckfarrack

Megan is Mike's daughter.

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Update 2

Sent: 9:51PM, Thursday, October 30, 2014

To:

CC

Megan asked a good question about the shunt and I answered her so thought maybe I should share. Please, don't hesitate to ask me questions and I will answer to the best of my ability or I will find out for you. I know it is a lot to take in. Yes, right now, for whatever reason, maybe some blockage, Dr. Zui is not sure of the cause, his ventricles in his brain are not draining properly so the fluid is backing up and making the ventricles larger, swelling and pushing on the brain. This internal shunt will go from the ventricles to his stomach and the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) will drain into his stomach and be reabsorbed by the body that way, keeping the ventricles emptied like they should be. It's the swollen ventricles, that are just supposed to be reservoirs for CSF for a very short time-they should drain continuously-that are enlarging. When there is a blockage, the fluid backs up with nowhere to go, swelling, and putting pressure on the brain. The brain doesn't like pressure, it doesn't like to be squeezed. When the brain is squeezed, people start getting a headache, agitated, not making sense, disoriented. That tells the nurses and doctors that something is not right. Hugs,Sheila

• Like 1

Buckfarrack

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Update

Sent: 7:18PM, Friday, October 31, 2014

To:

CC:

Mike is now in ICU 15. He is intubated again, on sedation and continuous low dose pain medicine, and a couple of antibiotics pending cultures. They sent blood cultures and cerebral spinal fluid cultures yesterday. It takes at least 48 hours to start showing any bacterial growth, if there is going to be any, so tomorrow we mayknow something about that. He doesn't have fever and his blood pressure is normal so I think their theory of increased white blood cell count being due to a stress reaction is probably the case, rather than infection. By day five of the cultures if there is absolutely no growth of bacteria, fungus etc, they will place the internal shunt that will drain his ventricles in his brain, replacing the external drain that he has now that is serving that purpose. He is draining a fair amount so there was obviously a blockage of the outlet where the fluid should drain, which Dr. Ziu said is not unusual and just confirms the need for the shunt. There could be several causes but as long as the fluid is allowed to drain then there will be no further pressure/irritation of the brain, that is the goal. He will be able to be discharged with shunt in place. He opens his eyes when I call his name, but due to the sedation he is not responding, not following commands. We have to work back to that again. They also placed the feeding tube again to give him nutrition while he is unable to eat. I think that is everything I know. I am writing this as I sit looking at him. He is resting well. Love,Sheila

• Like 1

Joep

Well wishes to mark there Buck and the family also.

beenshot

prayers sent, Rod. Hoping the best for Mike.

jobe05

Prayers for Mike and his family

Monkeytrucker

Rod, Estella and I are sending positive vibes toward TX in hope that it will help Donna's brother come thru this ordeal in the best way possible.

kamikaze84

Praying for your BIL and your family Buck.

Halfling
Prayers still coming his way from the entire Halfling Family!

mort952

Prayers for Mike and his family from Minnsota

AZgl1800

Prayers from the Okie Land kid, wishing him to get better "real soon now"

Buckfarrack

Thank you all so much.

• Like 1

pwhoever

Thanks for the updates. I will offer up more prayers for Mike.

Buckfarrack

Thank you.

Slowly Mike is coming along.NEVER in this life i would have guessed Mike would EVER speak again.We thought he was gone several times.He is trying to talk again,he's going to pull thru.

sheila hale7:35 PM (10 hours ago)cleardot.gifcleardot.gifcleardot.gifto meI just spoke with Mike's nurse and then I spoke with him. She brought the phone to him and said this is your sister Sheila, say Hi and he said Hi Sheila! Then he said something we couldn't quite understand. She said he was talking more in sentences today. Yay! She said the cultures are coming back with no growth so that is good. She also said they were talking about putting the shunt in next week if the cultures continue to be negative. So slowly but surely!

Love,Sheila

A few days ago Docs showed Mike all the cards sent to him.He looked through them,looked up at his Dad and pointed toward the door,and said..."Thanks"...He told Jerry to be sure and "Thank ZZ TOP for bringing him all the cards". We don't have any idea where that came from. Didn't even know Mike knew who ZZ Top is. Yeah it's sad,but at the same time,we got a laugh.We happily laughed because it was a sign Mike's brain is working,thinking.It was a sign of progress.

• Like 1

Parman

Sounds like he is hanging in there. Prayers still coming his way from us up here in northern IL.

Don

jobe05

Thats good news Rod, Praying for his continues success and healing!!

Monkeytrucker

Hey, maybe Billy Gibbons did come thru his door. At least in his mind he did. Sounds like you are at the point that many non-logical things will come from Mike. Be happy with the fact that they are coming.

We are wishing the best for him.

beenshot

Glad he's doin better!

He's probably been stuck too much and remembered this song :twitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNattt9X_eo

Joep

Glad to get a good progress update on him Buck... still a road to ride yet before he is on the mountain.. but one step at a time..

Buckfarrack

Thanks again y'all for the well wishes and prayers. Another update from my SIL  Sheila follows

about my BIL Mike,after my personal thoughts about his progress.

No doubt it is a long process.Poor guy has been in the hospital since Oct 2nd and now

I am starting to have my doubts again if Mike will ever pull through.The way i am thinking

after this update,Mike won't or cannot eat on his own,and they are going to be done with

him very soon.I don't know,who knows,if he will ever come through,or if this is his final

stage? Again,I guess only time will tell.

Here's Sheila's update

We finally got things sorted out. He was cleared for pureed foods and liquids with thicken in it. He drank a little bit of the iced tea but didn't want anything else right then. I spoke with Dr. Huth, who is an infectious disease doctor that I really like and respect. He is the attending of the team who is over Mike's care now. He said that he may still need to get a PEG tube if he doesn't eat because he will need to get nutrition. The goal for the next few days is to get him eating again so that hopefully he won't have to get the PEG. 

Dr. Huth is treating him with a couple of different antibiotics. He is erring on the side of caution because he cannot be sure if the bacteria that grew in his spinal fluid is a contaminant or a true infection. They sent a specimen when they put his shunt in last week and initially it did not grow anything but after some time it did. He would rather treat him than not in the event it is a true infection. Dr. Huth said that he will discuss the antibiotics and the length of time he will need to be on them with members of his group, other doctors that I really respect as well, not residents. Once they decide on a timeframe for giving the antibiotics, he could transfer to Texas Neuro. However, if he ends up needing the PEG tube because he is not taking to the pureed/thickened liquid diet, they will place that first and then discharge him to the rehab facility. I think by the end of the week a decision will be made. Not sure how long they will give him to try to eat on his own, because he does need to get some form of nutrition going again. He was getting feedings through the NG tube, but that is not a good long-term solution, and he has not gotten any since last week. 
Will update you as we get more information. He is in room 610 right now and is still confused. He has had an excellent nurse, Janelle, for the past several days. She has worked hard to get us the information we needed and to do the best thing for Mike and I am very grateful to her. We had some communication issues with the different doctors and she looked into and kept asking the doctors until she got us the information we needed. 

Take care,
Sheila

jobe05

Sounds ike he is making great strides in recovering Buck!!

Never under estimate the power of prayer!

Parman

We still have him in our thoughts and prayers.

Monkeytrucker

Hey Rod,

Estella and I are pulling for your BIL, his family, Donna and you.

alwims

Sounds ike he is making great strides in recovering Buck!!

Never under estimate the power of prayer!

This can not be said loud enough. Your whole family is still in my prayers.

Halfling

Prayers still coming his way from the entire Halfling Family!