Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
thecruiser

Ride For The Relay

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

thecruiser

Ride for the Relay

OK, John wanted us to not hold this under a bushel so I'll throw it out there. How many have heard of the Ride For The Relay? Short version: It's an annual Ride down ol' Route 66 from the Navy Pier in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica, Calif. I rode it with others "All The Way" in 2010. It's a fund raise for the American Cancer Society. Most of the participants have had Cancer of family/friends that have. Who HASN'T been touch by it, right? I made my plans back in 2009 to Ride in 2010 to celebrate my wife being Cancer Free for 10 years. By the time the Ride come about, I was a survivor myself. It's truly a Ride of a Lifetime and an experience you'll not soon forget. Ride For The Relay was founded in 2006 by Rodger L. Fox of Jacksonville, IL. Next year will mark the 10th and last anniversary of Rodger's involvement. (my understanding) I'd hate to miss this opportunity to Ride with Rodger this one last time. He has done a terrific job of setting up this Ride all these years and has had many partners that have made this Ride as cost efficient as possible. An example would be the hotel/motels. Some very fine establishments with special pricing for the participants. (usually in the $66 range) Gee, wonder where they come up with that figure? So CLICK ON THE LINK to the RFTR's Home Page, at the top of this post and read all about it. We have almost a year to learn about it. Sincerely, Larry K. (aka: thecruiser) 9-15-10021crop_zps63b9e8e0.jpg9-09-10059_zps20f9c643.jpg9-11amp12-10067_zps3e5db940.jpg9-09-10041_zps28af168b.jpg

jobe05

Looks like a great ride for a great cause. I wish I had the time to take a ride like that again someday, I would do it in a heart beat!

thecruiser

[user=4843]jobe05[/user] wrote:

Looks like a great ride for a great cause. I wish I had the time to take a ride like that again someday, I would do it in a heart beat!

Yeah, it was a hoot, John. Lotsa good folk on that Ride.

Boot

After "the cruiser" mention this ride, I'm in the planning mode! Been out West, lived in Southern Cal several years, drove thru many Western States but haven't ridden a motorcycle there. Really looking forward to the ride!!!

Can't be better......a Great cause and a Great ride!

jobe05

Last year I rode out to Oregon, down through California to my sons house in Carlsbad and back. I loved the trip, and would do it again in a heart beat. Although loved going to southern Cal to see my son, I think I would make my next trip to the north west and stay there for a couple weeks!! Best part of the country to ride.

Keep us up to date on your planning Boot, ya just never know!!!!...........

Boot

Jobe05..... The more the merrier! It's a great cause, I know it's to be a fun Route 66 ride, I haven't done it before, have rode with "the cruiser" before so it's got the makings of a good time! Looking at the (RIDE FOR THE RELAY) web site for 2014 it's informative and probably a good indication of what the 2015 ride is to be...... "the cruiser" and I will be talking about this ride a lot. If your like me and retarded.......I mean retired and can get away for the ride, let us know your thoughts and start making plans to attend with us!.....

Parman

On my bucket list. I will eventually do this ride. Just can't muster up 3 weeks off to do it yet.

Unfortunately a little issue called work still gets in the way for another 7 years. :tap:

Boot

Don't rush it Parman! I've got all the time in the world, the only problem, you have to be my age to make a statement as such........... Wish you could go! Be neat to get a bunch of us from the forum to meet up and do this ride....

jobe05

Im not retired yet either. However, as a business owner, I do have some pull with the boss and once in a while I can convince them that I need the time......... But then theres the whole money thing.........

Last year when I rode, I budgeted $100 a day for gas, food and lodging. I had some food with me, I camped at free camp sites so every few days I would have a $60 - $70 build up that if I was in an area that it was to hot or was raining I could get a hotel for the night. Fortunately, some of the Mom and Pop places in the south west are dirt cheap, like $24 a night!! That was cheaper than camping so I went for those. Most days, I would have lunch from my cooler (I love cold PBJ sandwiches)then I would stop somewhere for dinner, like Mexican, Chinese, Pizza, typical $5 to $9 dinner places. However food wasn't my primary objective at that point, Hydration was!!!. But even at $100 a day, plus a few extra hundred for other expenses like a new front tire, souvenirs, my 27 day trip cost about $3700. Which wasn't bad considering the amount of sights that I had seen and things that I did. I would love to do it again.

Boot

I'm getting into the 10th Annual "ride to the Relay" www.ridefortherelay.org/

that "the cruiser" and I are planning to ride next 14th of September 2015

Just ordered to Route 66 touring guides.....

***The Route 66 EASY GUIDE FOR TRAVELERS... and

***Route 66 Adventure Handbook...

Should be interesting reading to prepare for the ride... I'll let you all know my thoughts on these to guides....

thecruiser

I was just about ready to kick this thread back up to the top Chip...

Y'all got a couple of good book about the Route.

Remember the ol' Wig-Wam Motel?

Attached files 182685=6193-9-11-10 033-800.jpg

Boot

Larry....I've been checking the web about Route 66 and read about the Wigwam Motel. Said it was made of concrete around steel. Interesting... It's been in operation for many years. I've ridden all States East of the Mississippi River, including SD, IA, MO, AR, OK and LA on bikes, always intended to go out West and here's the chance and for a really great cause, raising money for the fight against Cancer!!! In 1970, I relocated from Illinois to Southern California and drove there via about the same route and now wonder if and how much of Route 66 I did travel on.....and if so will I remember any of the sights/scenery? This is the fun part for me now researching this ride... Reminiscing about that 1970 drive to California, I approached Albuquerque, New Mexico after dark. We had been driving in a pitch black night, little to no Moon light, and as I approach the Albuquerque Valley I pulled off the highway to gase down into the valley at the millions of lights of Albuquerque.... The view was beautiful!!! Wish I was leaving tomorrow....... Weather permitting? lol

thecruiser

Chip,

Even before the 'decommissioning' of Route 66 in June of 1985, it's "route" was changed several times. I find it exciting as I have always liked 'roads and maps' and found Route 66 especially exciting.

This website: Decommissioning of Route 66, talks about that and has several links along the left side of the main page that will keep you up for days!

The RFTR follows closely the original route where there are gobs of small museums along the way. Although alot of the actual roadway has been replaced (we're talkin' back in the 30's, 40's, and 50's here) to make it straighter, wider of whatever, you'll find that some is still 'in use' as local roadways while some of the original roadbed is now part of the Interstate System. On the Ride, we will also Ride on abandoned portions of old Route 66.

To learn 'all about' Route 66 would be a life-long endeavor. But to travel it in the way the RFTR does, I find both FUN and EXCITING.

I know you and anyone that Rides it will be excited as well.

This is a paragraph copied from 'one of the links'

Tips to find your way on Route 66

Try to follow the railway tracks. Although this is by no means a bullet-proof method, Route 66 generally runs close to the railway track for a very simple reason: the route was already traced. Bear in mind that, in 1926, as the federal government endorses the highway system including Route 66, the center of the United States is still fairly hostile territory: rough weather, snow-capped mountain ranges, scorching deserts, lakes and tumultuous rivers. In following the railway track, Route 66's engineers saw a straightforward method to keep costs down. This explains why the Interstate network continues to follow Route 66 today on most stretches.

thecruiser

A lot of smaller museums along the way,...

as well as abandoned businesses.

9-06-10029_zpsc1db9c02.jpg

9-06-10012_zpse7406bfd.jpg

9-06-10016_zps9eef12c0.jpg

Boot

Cool!!! Thanks Larry...... If other members have comments, suggestions or pictures of the Historic Route 66 please share with us!

thecruiser

Then there is the "Walkin' Billboard for Route 66 and the guy with one foot on backwards...

This Ride is a real experience to say the least. :dance:

9-07-10018_zps2f5b8d11.jpg

9-07-10022_zps656589bc.jpg

9-07-10025_zpse6011375.jpg

9-07-10029_zps5b409de4.jpg

thecruiser

Old cars are synonymous with Route 66...

Yeah, you might see a couple... or hundreds

9-06-10045_zpsc47f2d8f.jpg

9-07-10038_zpsf6e5a694.jpg

9-07-10039_zps88c3d121.jpg

9-06-10037_zpsc4eff422.jpg

Boot

Neat pictures..... Looking forward to seeing in person! Not sure about the shoe on backward guy? Definitely not the tattoo dude!!! lol

Larry.... Have spent last three hours reading "Decommissioning of Route 66"..... Interesting an enjoyable, but, I need to get off this for a while... lol

thecruiser

[user=5830]Boot[/user] wrote:

Neat pictures..... Looking forward to seeing in person! Not sure about the shoe on backward guy? Definitely not the tattoo dude!!! lol

Larry.... Have spent last three hours reading "Decommissioning of Route 66"..... Interesting an enjoyable, but, I need to get off this for a while... lol

Yeah,... don't forget to stop and EAT sometime... :doh:

Boot

That's my first hobby!!! Lol

Boot

Larry..... Do you know when the 2015 "Ride for the Relay" schedule will be posted?

dwsonar

Thanks guys. My todo list just got longer.

Ghost Rider 2

I would love to make this ride.  I am fortunate that I work 1/2 mile  from Rt66  I ride it coming home from work often.  The thought of Chicago to California gets me thinking  GO!!

Boot

Ghost Rider...... Come on and GO!!! As you may have read, Larry "the cruiser" and I plan on sharing rooms on the way out, towing our campers and doing some camping on way back. Larry did it in 2010, so he'll be a good tour guide.....as he was when I rode in his area 2012.... I think it would be great to have riders from this group get together for this ride!

thecruiser

Ghost Rider...... Come on and GO!!! As you may have read, Larry "the cruiser" and I plan on sharing rooms on the way out, towing our campers and doing some camping on way back. Larry did it in 2010, so he'll be a good tour guide.....as he was when I rode in his area 2012.... I think it would be great to have riders from this group get together for this ride!

Oh GREAT!  Thanks Chip. If we get a 'whole group' of us going, my wife is gonna be MAD if I decide to go 'all-the-way' and abandon her at the Georgia/South Carolina boarder.

would be fun though, wouldn't it?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,