Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
drtjr

Is there a standard for the Trailer wiring connector

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

drtjr

What is "if there is" a connector that is considered standard for motorcycle trailer connections.

If it is a flat...do most of you just let it hang from the bottom of the fender/frame. 4, 5 or 6 pin?

I have also seen a square 5 pin plug.

I have seen installed in the lower saddle bag cover..this protected the wiring as it is - inside with the saddle bag light wiring. This was a round 5 or 6 pin with a spring flip up cover. But looked like a hole (had to be) was drilled to mount the female connecter. I actually liked this idea. but not sold on it yet. Not sure if the plastic is hardy enough to hold it.

This would be for a GL1500 And Ive read that atleast a 5 pin is was is needed.

What are all you trailer pullers out there using.?...Just curious..

m2102

I think for the most part they are flat and 4 prong. I have about 4-5" hanging down with a cover that it pushes into. all the other wires are hidden under left bag and tied to the frame

Joep

Okay most trailers wire the same especially for small motorcycle style trailers.. flat 4 white.. white is ground and brown is running lights.. the other two go to left turn signal/brake light and right turn signal brake light ... this will help on the trailer side... http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/wiring_diagrams.php ... now you will need to wire in a 5 wire to 4 white converter for the bike itself as our wings use separate turn and brake lights whereas the trailer the turn and brakes are combo lights.. brake and turn use the same elements in the bulbs..

Ghost Rider 2

I don't think there is a standard for motorcycles. I think most people use either the small 6 round, or the double row stacked 3 to make 6. Personally i use a powered 5 - 4 converter then a 4 flat wire from the bike. From that you can make adapters to go to other 5 or 6 wire trailer plugs.

Just remember your bike is a 5 wire system. So to use a 4 flat style you have to use a converter.

drtjr

GH

I heard/read and believed that the GL is a 5 wire system.

Curious though what people are using and if some prefer one set up over another. And how the connector on the bike is attached....ie hanging or mounted somewhere.

I think I would like to have it mounted. I did see someone have a circled with a hinged cover mounted in the lower saddle bag cover, (protecting the wiring from the elements, but not sure if this would eventually tear/crack the plastic over time.

I appreciate all the comments too.

Ghost Rider 2

Hang it from the frame of the hitch if using a large plug.. And yes Honda is a 5 wire (separate brake light set up). That is why I wire in a tail light converter. Just did one on my wifes trike about an hour ago. This way I end up with an automotive style 4 flat plug.

Power Guy

it all depends on the trailer that you pull. Take a look at the bulbs on the rear of the trailer. If the bulb has two fiaments (1 for trun and 1 for stop) then you need a 4 wire set up. If the bulb only has one filament (1 for brakes and turn) then you will need a 5 pin set up.

youngnbald

To prevent messy wiring, this is what I use to hold wire on motorcycle and trailer.  I chose the 4 pin flat so my camper can be pulled by car or motorcycle.  I had to use filament style brake lights on camper, not the new LED due to the wiring I wanted.

Hopkins 48595 4 Wire Flat Mounting Bracket

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48595-Wire-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B0002Q81W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473250247&sr=8-1&keywords=Hopkins+48595+4+Wire+Flat+Mounting+Bracket

brianinpa

I used a U-Haul 14486 wiring harness.  Since I have two bikes, I added short pig-tails to the bike's wiring harness for the brakes, parking lights, ground, and both turn-signals and then put waterproof bullet connectors on the ends of the wiring harness and the pig-tails so I can change the wiring harness between bikes, or remove it completely when I am not using the trailer.  The pig-tails tuck nicely up under the seat. 

AZgl1800

IMO,

the best thing to do is use a 5 wire flat rubber connector.

Just wire all of the lights straight back to the trailer bulb to bulb for each function.

then, if the trailer does NOT have a separate brake light set up, add it....

no adapters, no funny business, just KISS and wired straight back.

that is how mine is done, and how I help everyone else do it.

if that trailer will be pulled by a car, use two rubber plugs, a 4 wire on the car and a 5 wire to the trailer, and forget the "brake lights" on the trailer, as the 4 wire will work perfect with the original setup.  The trailer's signal and stop lamp are the same filament anyway.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,