NAGF News Ticker
  • New Arrivals!!!
  • The NAGF Online Store...
  • AND
  • The NEW Classifieds System (Adverts)...
  • ARE NOW ONLINE!!!
  • Each with a detailed "Walkthrough" available
  • Check the New Dropdown Menu for Access...
plskthompson

What did you do to your wing today?

2,738 posts in this topic Last Reply

yooperfan

I started yesterday at 6 AM with a 25 mile ride to the range at 35*F.  The temp had climbed to 47*F for the color filled noon time ride home on the scenic route.  At 6 PM, I rode 20 miles to a meeting with a temp of 45*F.  I headed home a couple of hours later and the temp had dropped to 35*F.  A lot of my co-workers just shook their heads and said I'm nuts.  Oh well.  My HD riding friends and co-workers have put their bikes in storage for the winter and their PMS has begun.  I just had 90 miles worth of smiles and I'm not convinced that I'm finished yet for the year.

youngnbald
5 hours ago, yooperfan said:

I started yesterday at 6 AM with a 25 mile ride to the range at 35*F.  The temp had climbed to 47*F for the color filled noon time ride home on the scenic route.  At 6 PM, I rode 20 miles to a meeting with a temp of 45*F.  I headed home a couple of hours later and the temp had dropped to 35*F.  A lot of my co-workers just shook their heads and said I'm nuts.  Oh well.  My HD riding friends and co-workers have put their bikes in storage for the winter and their PMS has begun.  I just had 90 miles worth of smiles and I'm not convinced that I'm finished yet for the year.

Do you have heated gear?  Rode into work with -10 temps and I can't recall what they said the wind chill was.  People at the gas station rolled their windows down a 1/2" and asked how the hell could I do it.  I took off my helmet and saw my reflection in the window.  I had steam rising up from my neck and off my bald head.  They didn't know heated clothing existed.  I told them I still had more heat to put out, and I was perfectly fine with my ride.  All good until snow hits.

Ghost Rider 2

I waiting for a little more frost to disappear then I heading out on bike for the day.  Couple of errands then just ride til I find that cheeseburger that I want for lunch.

yooperfan
51 minutes ago, youngnbald said:

Do you have heated gear?  Rode into work with -10 temps and I can't recall what they said the wind chill was.  People at the gas station rolled their windows down a 1/2" and asked how the hell could I do it.  I took off my helmet and saw my reflection in the window.  I had steam rising up from my neck and off my bald head.  They didn't know heated clothing existed.  I told them I still had more heat to put out, and I was perfectly fine with my ride.  All good until snow hits.

I don't have heated gear, just a leather coat that weighs too much for some people to lift and that's without the liner put in.  I got the coat from work about 17 years ago but didn't start wearing it until I started riding again about 7 years ago.  When it's this cold, I wear a lighter jacket under the leather coat and top it off with a pair of gauntlet gloves and a full face helmet..  I have worn a full face mask under the helmet, but it makes the helmet too tight and the visor fogs up, so that's not the best way to go.  I rode home from work on my 1200, after getting a jump start for the weak battery, with a morning temp of 24*.  I try to ride in the winter when the roads are clear of snow and salt, to circulate the fluids, rotate the tires, charge the battery, and cure the wintertime PMS.

DougW

Hooked the cargo trailer to the Motor Home and loaded the Trike into it.  Leaving Saturday Morning for the Lower Rio Grande Valley (Alamo TX) where we will stay for the winter.

Ghost Rider 2

I rode 100 miles this morning.  Just because I wanted to.  28 degrees when I left but sun was shining.

Indianawantsme

I just don't want to tear bike apart yet when it is warm and sunny yet.  Steering bearings and trailer hitch will have to wait. 

55F today so i rode to town to cash a check and stop at a couple of other places.   Not many miles but was so nice.  About 35miles.  Going tomorrow on a longer ride since almost a carbon copy of today.    

Parman
12 hours ago, Indianawantsme said:

I just don't want to tear bike apart yet when it is warm and sunny yet.  Steering bearings and trailer hitch will have to wait. 

55F today so i rode to town to cash a check and stop at a couple of other places.   Not many miles but was so nice.  About 35miles.  Going tomorrow on a longer ride since almost a carbon copy of today.    

Hi Steve.

What you plan on pulling with a hitch? Did you buy a camper or just a trailer?

George

Started up my bike and rode to PetSmart, about two miles away, to buy a new litter box for my wife's cat.  The cat is not important.  My riding down the rode with a cat litter box bungeed to the seat is.  Sorry no pictures.  That is what I have done today...so far.

Indianawantsme

Parman:         Going to put  custom made rack back there that is 18"x14".    Tent and sleeping bags and only weigh 15# with sealed container made by Ziploc. Might strap a smaller one  on top of that and won't even block the signal lights that are low. All brake lights are above on top trunk. Lower ones are just running lights. 

Trip to Tucson in middle of May and taking this stuff along just in case we can't find a reasonable hotel sometime.   

Probably have to buy turndown extensions also. 

Got some riding and visiting in beautiful sunshine today and got up to 59F for just a little while and 45F on the way home in the dark. 

AZgl1800

the bike languished in the shop, I made a dog ramp for the Toy Hauler so that I and the dogs can easily walk into and out of the Toy Hauler...

It sets pretty high, with the bottom step about 24 inches above ground level.

Ghost Rider 2

Well as bad as I hate to say it, I going to park the wing for today. I just walked out to garage, the railing on my back porch frost and ice.  My pick up is solid frost and my landscape timbers are solid white also.  This is one of those mornings I know there is patchy frost out here on these country roads. 

yooperfan

Wednesday, while the oil was drainging on my cage, I cleaned and gapped the plugs on my wing.  After I finished with the cage, I rode the wing long enough to heat up the oil before draining it.   I went inside to eat and started to nod off in the recliner, so I turned off the garage lights for the night.  I was at a good stopping point, known as too tired to want to go back into the cold garage and lay on the concrete  Thursday, I couldn't find my new Father's Day present, the chrome filter wrench for the wing, so I used a big pair of channel locks and avoided removing the plastic, which was always time consuming and not much fun.  I broke out some finger muscles I didn't know I had and hand tightened the new filter.  The next thing I couldn't find was a bottle of gear lube.  I guess I finished off the last bottle on my ATV a few months ago, so that will have to wait for another time.  After I added some antifreeze to the overflow tank and refilled the oil, it was time for a shakedown ride.  As I expected, the wing shifted a bit smoother and the engine was a bit peppier, and I was a lot colder.  If I don't ride again for a few months, the wing is a little more ready to be stored, but there might be a few more riding days left before my riding season ends.

Edited by yooperfan

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.