NAGF News Ticker
  • NASR 11 Store Is Now Open!!!
  • Be sure to order your NASR 11 Items!!!
  • T-Shirts
  • Oval Patches
  • and Meal Tickets
  • Click on the NAGF Online Store!
Halfling

Any Sci-Fi Readers Out There???

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Just out of curiosity, do we have any fellow Sci-Fi readers in the community? Now that I'm "retired" I've been reading a lot more lately, used to love it and have rekindled that love once again. Anyone else?

roscoepc

If you can identify who's in this pic, we'll talk!!!! ;)

HAL 9000.png

Monkeytrucker

And what movie made HAL famous and where he was born.  Then you are a sci-fi buff (or a movie buff)

roscoepc

Just so's I don't ruin it for anyone, you've got a "Sticky" coming just to prove my Bonifide's... :P

Halfling

"Hello Dave", but the movie wasn't as good as the book by Arthur C. Clark IMHO.

Mountain Rider

How about John Norman?  The Priest kings of Gor, Outlaw of Gor, Nomads of Gor, and many others were a series I read.  We seemed to go crazy waiting for the next book in the series to come out.  Soldier, Ask not, a book by Gordon R. Richardson, and a number of others including Dorsai, were also favorites of my youth. 

roscoepc
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, Halfling said:

"Hello Dave", but the movie wasn't as good as the book by Arthur C. Clark IMHO.

In my opinion, the movie "2001" is a lot like the first "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" that came out in 1979. You watch the movie, are impressed with the special effects, but when you leave you have no clue as to just what you have just watched!! If you read the book and THEN watch the movie again it's a totally different experience as you know what's motivating both Hal and Vejur who are both the "Bad Guy's", but not really!!

BTW Did any of you know that "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" was based on one of the episodes in the Original Series? There was something familiar about the movie and I finally figured it out when watching TOS episode: "The Changeling"..

Check it out!! ;)

roscoepc

A good book came to mind awhile ago.. Everyone knows Isaac Asimov right??!! One of his books which was based on a movie was Fantastic Voyage. He was never quite satisfied by the book because he had to base it on the movie script which, in his opinion, was not "Real" enough in it's scientific aspects: Miniaturization is not possible..

Years later though he went back to the idea and wrote another novel based on the same basic plot but with enough differences to make it as good of a book as he ever wrote in my opinion!!

It's "Fantastic Voyage II: Destination Brain".. Pretty good Sci Fi read IMHO!!

Halfling

I just finished books 1-5 of the Ascension Series by Ken Lozito (book 6 isn't out yet) and I'm currently reading the 4 book set The Singularity Series by David Beers (just finishing book 2 and getting ready to move on to book 3).

The entire Dune Series by Frank Herbert were awesome (I've read them twice) even though ALL of the movies really sucked.

Monkeytrucker

I first saw 2001 on Prom night at the drive-in in Mt. Carmel, IL.  Several towns had their proms on the same Saturday night so the drive-in had a all night movie showing.  My prom date (not The Bride) and I enjoyed the shows from the comfort of the back seat of a 55 Dodge.  Had to go see the movie again just to watch it....  

Halfling

Just finished the final book of The Singularity series (7 total books) by David Beers. The overall premise was that an AI was created to save the world from humanity (notice I said world). The entire series was full of violence and covered about 1500 plus years and yes, a few of the main characters actually lived that long. I can't say I really liked it but it did have me reading all the way through to the end although the ending really sucked in that the author tried to send a message. The author did do a great job at developing the characters as well as the environment and each book finished with a cliff hanger (of course). I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of time to waste. I'd give it a 5 on a 10 point scale.

AZgl1800

We have a Kindle Unlimited account, and it is neat.

My daughter and I can share the account and each develop our own interests...

both of us have decided that if they the time you get 10% into a book, the author can't seem to make his way with the story, just "remove book from device", and find another one.

right now, I am reading a lady's book about a woman tug boat captain who's having trouble with finding out her father's history... her mom supposedly walked into the ocean and submerged when the girl was 10 years old...

it has just enough intrigue to keep me going.... what I like about the Kindle is that the fonts can be increased to any size you want to make it easy reading... and I can "turn it off" at any point and go back to the laptop....

a habit I have developed to keep from getting bored with any one thing in this retired life....

especially with it being so cold, that we can't get outside and doing anything physical out there...

I should be using the indoor treadmill, but that is "sooooo exciting", ugh!

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker
5 hours ago, AZgl1800 said:

We have a Kindle Unlimited account, and it is neat.

My daughter and I can share the account and each develop our own interests...

both of us have decided that if they the time you get 10% into a book, the author can't seem to make his way with the story, just "remove book from device", and find another one.

it has just enough intrigue to keep me going.... what I like about the Kindle is that the fonts can be increased to any size you want to make it easy reading... and I can "turn it off" at any point and go back to the laptop....

a habit I have developed to keep from getting bored with any one thing in this retired life....

especially with it being so cold, that we can't get outside and doing anything physical out there...

I should be using the indoor treadmill, but that is "sooooo exciting", ugh!

Yes Kindle unlimited is great.  I keep at least 5-6 books loaded up at any one time.  I like WWII history based novels and in fact I by accident found my fathers Americal Division at Guadalcanal right down to the company he was in and their action.  Filled in a lot of information that has enabled me to locate a few tidbits.  All of his records were burned up in the Paige Avenue Records depository in St. Louis.  

I am now reading flying stories and am reading the U-2 pilot by Jim Carter.  Have an acquaintance was a T-38 instructor pilot at Vance AFB and I emailed him and found out he knew Carter from when Carter was a T-38 instructor pilot.  Stuff like that kind of brings a book a little closer to home.  My friend ended his career by washing out a student who he later found out had a multi-stared general as a daddy.  He got flack and was going to get bounced to being a C-130 pilot so he just opted out.  Daddy was a big head of a bank so he got an office and great pay which he rode til retirement.  I laughed when he said "It is nice to have privilege but you had better be aware of crossing those with more privilege." 

Halfling

Yep. I have Kindle Unlimited as well. It took me awhile to get used to it over having the paperback book in my hand but the savings is crazy! I also like it because I can also read sitting here at the big screen computer as well as my small Kindle Fire. Well worth the small price.

AZgl1800

I don't read it on the big screen, I did it once, but didn't like it because I had to set in front of a screen.

The little PaperWhite is ideal for my type of reading, grab it and sit at the table eating my morning oatmeal and toast...... laying in bed, use it to read until my eyes droop.... great for me, asleep in minutes....

sitting in my recliner, read 5 or 10 minutes, then open the laptop, then the book, back and forth....

the Kindle PaperWhite fits in my jeans pocket, goes with me if I leave the house... sitting in the car while Cyndi is shopping, I read.  :)