• T-Shirts
  • Oval Patches
  • and Meal Tickets
  • Click on the NAGF Online Store!
Goldwings 4 Ever

Finally Retired

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

Goldwings 4 Ever

Well, I just finished my last shift.  The boss walked me to the door, shook my hand and wished me well.  I am now officially retired. :thumbs-up:  I'm one of those fortunate people who likes his job so it only took me 38 1/2 years to give it up.  It takes 2 years to train someone to do the job, and we are extremely short staffed at the moment with plans to hire 10 more people in the near future (who won't be ready for 2 years), so my boss is already in the process of trying to hire me back.  I told him I would come back and help out until he gets staffed back up, but not until after our trip south in Feb. and March.  It looks like this retired guy will be un-retired again in March.:puzzled-still:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Yay 1

DougW

Congratulations on your retirement Bob.  Well earned.  Now go out and enjoy yourself!!!!

• Like 1

roscoepc

Cool Beans!!!!! Congratulations!!! I think the closest I'll ever come to retiring is to Get Tired.....:59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

So your going to have reretire in the future ? Best Wishes Bob . See ya'll soon.

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

:confused-face-smiley-emoticon:  Me Thinks that's called Double Dipping!  

Congrats on the retirement  ...  and the Double Dipping thing!  :thumbs-up:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monkeytrucker

A friend who was one of the operators at one of the largest coal fired generations plants retired.  He was paid very well in his job but they hired him back to train new operators at over $1k  a day as a private contractor.   He was well qualified as he had done it for 30 years.

flylow

$1K a day.....was he underpaid for 30 years?  Sounds like it's, "get even time."

Mountain Rider

Congrats!!!!!  I'm so jealous right now, but hopefully I'll join in soon.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon:

Jstkraze

Congratulations, now what to do with all that free time.

AZgl1800

dunno about that "going back", once out, you need to stay out, and get some well deserved rest.  when I left, I moved out of state.

Monkeytrucker
On 1/5/2018 at 6:05 PM, flylow said:

$1K a day.....was he underpaid for 30 years?  Sounds like it's, "get even time."

Well I did say over $1k a day as a contracted person.  Definitely not underpaid for those 30 years.  His job was the guy who was at the controls of the complete operation of the 6+ megawatt coal fired power plant and was paid as such.  That job was one where the new operators had a very long training time. 

All I know is that after 3 weeks he bought himself a new Jeep Grand Cherokee.   After 6 months he bought himself a nice house on a lake, well he sold his other nice house also but it was definitely a big step up.  His wife had died 6 years earlier and she had a good insurance policy that was meant to make her survivors not have to worry about their next meal.

After a year of being widowed he met a really nice lady, that I even knew, who was a widow.  Bobbie did not want her freedom interfered with so she lived in her house and he in his 80 miles away.  Great arrangement.  She did move to the lake house later on when she retired from the same plant.

He was a guy who thought he wanted to see something 1,000 miles away and had 4-5 days off he would just go there and spend a couple of days.  Non stop driving, like Young and Bald does.   He would buy ham radio gear and use it for a year and then just sell it at give away prices to new ham operators when he decided he wanted to try a new one that came on the market.  Nice guy who you would never think had more than just a grunt worker position.  The guy who was married to my cousin had the same operators job opposite shift never had to worry about money either.

youngnbald

Congrats on the retirement!  I gave a job 2 weeks notice and they found it took 7 people to replace me.  I said I would help out, but I knew the alternative was contractors at $130 per hour (12 years ago).  I gave them a discount of $100 per hour.  Worked out well for 9 months and I had enough dealing with them trying to get the last two employees.  The 5 they did hire took forever to get underway.

Don't sell yourself short going back into work!  You can do contractor pay!  My current employer has a retiree working yet and he is well over $100 per hour at full time!  Talk about double dipping!  He's been here for years in that status.  Not sure how the company affords it verses hiring a new employee.  I don't run the books, but make sure you take care of yourself.

Goldwings 4 Ever

Thank You all for your well wishes.

I wish going back would mean big bucks, but if I go back I will be hired back in my old position at my old rate of pay (which is nothing to sneeze at), plus our company has a policy where I can only work 1 year on a hire back.  Our company has too many government watch dogs looking over it to be able to do the big bucks contractor thing.  However, I will be paying a minimum of tax deductions so it will be like getting a raise.  Until then I'm just going to enjoy the peace and quiet.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Peace and quiet?  The Honey Do book just has not opened yet.  If not the Honey Do book it will be the book of "Round To Its"  

Enjoy it while it lasts..... :happy:

Goldwings 4 Ever

The only Honey Do list I have is some painting, and the tough part will be hiring the painter (and then watching him paint).:59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:  I love work, I could watch it for hours.

trike lady

Congrats on your retirement, enjoy life. :thumbs-up:

Hawggy

Well Ya finally gone and done it,  eh?  Congrats Big Fella.  I love being retired, as you well know. Hugs and I are heading out tomorrow to Texas and Arizona way on a road trip. These are things ya can do when you are retired..The snow pi$$ed me off a little bit and Florida is not till end Of Feb for all of March..So now,  a road trip it is.. Catch ya down in Florida in March Bob.

PS.. I heard the Little one retired too???

DougW
7 hours ago, Hawggy said:

Well Ya finally gone and done it,  eh?  Congrats Big Fella.  I love being retired, as you well know. Hugs and I are heading out tomorrow to Texas and Arizona way on a road trip. These are things ya can do when you are retired..The snow pi$$ed me off a little bit and Florida is not till end Of Feb for all of March..So now,  a road trip it is.. Catch ya down in Florida in March Bob.

Where in TX are you headed Bob? Rena and I are in the Rio Grande Valley for the winter.

Hawggy

Doug. We will just be passing through Texas, but will be stopping in Driftwood to eat at The Salt Lick. Rex says it is great BBQ and the website looks intriguing, so gotta try it. Also will be in San Antonio for a couple of days. Want to do The Alamo again as well as Riverwalk. Been about 16 years since we were last there. Then on to AZ. Gotta see Tombstone, missed it last trip.Hope your having a great winter. We will be down in Panama City Beach  Fla. for all of March with the Bike. Maybe see ya at the Spring meetup in Jasper?

Goldwings 4 Ever
23 hours ago, Hawggy said:

Unfortunately the Little One didn't retire yet. Her boss still can't find a replacement.  She'll be off for  Feb and March for Florida, but it looks like we're both going back to work for a year after that.

Edited by Goldwings 4 Ever

Goldwinger
On 1/11/2018 at 1:28 PM, Goldwings 4 Ever said:

Unfortunately the Little One didn't retire yet. Her boss still can't find a replacement.  She'll be off for  Feb and March for Florida, but it looks like we're both going back to work for a year after that.

Well Bob, I think one of first things you should do with your new found free time is look up  "Retired" in the dictionary cuz I don't think you have fully grasped the concept of the word..  :rolleyes: Congrats buddy, I am soooooooo jealous . See you tomorrow.

Edited by Goldwinger
  • Like 1