• Oval Patches
  • and Meal Tickets
  • Click on the NAGF Online Store!
Sign in to follow this  
Graham

Wind Screen STUCK!

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Graham

Won't go up, wont go down. I narrowed the problem to the bar it's bolted to in the center of the screen. There is some sort of rail and slot system back there but I don't want to go ripping into it without knowing what it looks like and how it works. Does anybody have a diagram of this system?

AZgl1800

nope, but on my 1800 the slots on the windscreen are too wide "center to center" and the screws bind up hard against the slots.

Had to pick what I hoped was a good height and that is where it stayed. it will not move, period.

now I need to lower it two inches, and I can't get it to move.... it should be able to do that, but it won't budge.

so, I will take it off, cut two inches off, and widen the slots to get enough room for it to move up and down.

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 2

There is a ratchet mechanism that sometimes sticks.  Loosen both lock levers pull all the way to top in a firm jerk motion.  Sometimes a little side to side wiggle helps.  Once at top gently pull up and forward at top of shield and see if It will go down.  If not you have to pull windshield and manually release latch. A little lube once you have shield off can help.  If it still does not move up and down you may have to replace mechanism if you want it to move.  I had my wife trike apart yesterday.  It has never worked right.

• Like 2

pwhoever

Do you know if it is an aftermarket windshield? I have see where some aftermarket ones are fairly thick and you have to decide how high you want it when installing because after finishing, it's not going to move up or down anymore.

pwhoever

Also, take a look at thus video from F4 Customs on how to remove the windshield. It is actually pretty simple. I would say it's about a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10. It may help you out...

https://youtu.be/UWVwcjdng3M

Graham
1 hour ago, pwhoever said:

Also, take a look at thus video from F4 Customs on how to remove the windshield. It is actually pretty simple. I would say it's about a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10. It may help you out...

https://youtu.be/UWVwcjdng3M

Fast forward to 5:35 in that video. That silver part he is moving up and down will not budge on my bike.

AZgl1800

I should have mentioned in my post, that the OEM windshield would move up/dn fairly easily.

It was when I bought a new Optic Armor windshield that I ran into trouble,

for some reason, the slot width doesn't match up with where the screw holes are on the bike.

I should have called Optic Armor and tried to get something done about it, but I was leaving for the WVA rally the next day, so my friend and I just set it where it ought to be and left it there.

I'm quite sure that Optic Armor would still do something about it, but it isn't worth the trouble.

I am taking it off when it gets warm because I need to shorten it two inches anyway.

When I do that, I will just dremel out a bit of extra width in the mounting slots and all should be well.

But, the Optic Armor windshields are thicker than OEM, and I have been told they don't slide up and down very well anyway.

• Like 1

Graham

Anyone else? Beauler? 

AZgl1800

I received a brand new Madstad yesterday, at 6* F, it will be a while before it is put on.