NAGF News Ticker
  • New Arrivals!!!
  • The NAGF Online Store...
  • AND
  • The NEW Classifieds System (Adverts)...
  • ARE NOW ONLINE!!!
  • Each with a detailed "Walkthrough" available
  • Check the New Dropdown Menu for Access...
Halfling

Front Tire

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Am I correct in assuming that I can expect faster wear on the front tire of my trike?

pwhoever

I don't know about faster wearing but they will start taking on a flatter profile before long. That is one of the reasons a rear tire is highly recommended for the front because they have a deeper tread.

Halfling

I don't know about faster wearing but they will start taking on a flatter profile before long. That is one of the reasons a rear tire is highly recommended for the front because they have a deeper tread.

Are you running a rear tire on the front Mike?

pwhoever

Yes, Niehaus mounted a Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire and I have to say I think I like it better than the Bridgestone BT45 that I had on there. And Niehaus highly recommended that it be mounted backwards which I was already aware of. I know some guys are highly recommending the Avon Trike tire. Niehaus had it but said it was more expensive and I would get less mileage for a higher cost. I know Beenshot swears by it but I figured I would give the Pilot Activ a try first. I have seen where guys are easily getting 20,000+ miles out of them. I was told the key is the air pressure. It was recommended to run it at 41psi. One of the big differences is that the edges will no longer wear on the front tire because you dont/can't lean a trike. The front tire will now wear like a car tire and only down the center.

• Like 1

DougW

I had a BT45, it cupped terribly. Put one of the Avon tier tires, radial, on it earlier this year and so far I like it a lot. Smoother ride and handles well. The footprint is pretty much the full width of the tread, Running it at 36 PSI. Tread life remains to be seen.

• Like 2

Halfling

Well I suppose I'll wear this one out first and then try a rear tire...thanks for the info!

pwhoever

What tire is on there now?

Halfling

Bridgestone G709

m2102

Had that one on my front when I took it in to trike it. Had a little over 4k miles on it. I thought I could get enough out of it to finish this riding season but once it started to go, seems it went quick. Now have a MPA mounted backwards with only about 400 miles on it. Well see how it wears and mileage.

• Like 1