NAGF News Ticker
  • New Feature!!!
  • The Tutorial Feature has Launched With Its First Tutorial...
  • "Using Classified Adverts"
  • Be Sure To Check It Out...
  • By Clicking On "Tutorials" In The Menu!!!
  • AND...
  • Watch For More Tutorials On The Way!
Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

Wobble at higher speeds

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I recently replaced the tires on my 86 Aspy with a set of Avon Cobras, as the old (really old) Elite II's were worn and out dated.  I installed the front first, which made a world of difference.  The bike actually felt kind of sporty.  I then replaced the rear, about a week later.  They felt pretty good for a few days, then I started getting a bit of a wobble when cruising about 70.  It was akin to a less extreme version of the Keystone Cops, as if the wheel was warped.  If I back off on the speed a little, it goes away.  I went back through and rechecked my axle caps, axle nuts, and brake components to insure they were properly aligned and torqued.  All looks good there. 

I find it hard to believe the rear tire would wreak that much havoc by itself, but stranger things have happened.  As I said, this didn't occur until I mounted the rear tire, and never before with the old tires. I hate to think I may have to change to a different rear just to get it corrected.  Since I'm off tomorrow, I'll take a look at the head bearings and try and service the front forks.

This is a little nerve racking, as I'm getting my wife back into riding and just don't feel good about putting her on the back until I get this fixed. 

Thanks in advance.

brianinpa

What pressure are you using?  You mention that you are going to check the head bearing in the neck, if all is well, check the swing arm.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Right now, I have the pressures set at 32 in the front, 40 in the rear as I was preparing for the wife and I to make a ride. The owners manual recommends 32 front and 32 rear for normal operation, up to 40 when maxing out the load. I'll adjust the pressure in the rear and see what that does. I'm open to anything at this point.

Bluthundr31

Dave, similar experience turned out to be pretty simple for me. Double-check, then triple check your front tire RIM for the mark of a balancing weight that is missing. Where the weight was positioned will be clean but dirty on each side. Don't know why cuz it's so rare, , but worth a long look. Tire shop had it fixed in 5 mins.

DaveO430

I find it hard to believe the rear tire would wreak that much havoc by itself, but stranger things have happened.  

It's not that strange, a rear tire will cause a wobble as much as a bad front tire will. Put it on the center stand and check if it is fully seated all the way around, if OK then look at it while spinning i fit looks like it's running true. You wouldn't be the first to get a bad tire. 

Mountain Rider

Well, a lot of playing around with different things seems to have solved the problem, at least for the moment.  Either my bike or the tires are a little picky.  It didn't seem to care for different pressures in the front and rear, while matching pressures seemed to make it much happier.  At the end of the day, I set the tire pressures at 32 PSI in the front and the rear, Trac system is set to 1, and the air suspension is set to 12 PSI in the front and 62 in the rear.  86 MPH and no wobble, corners well, and feels good when cruising.  I didn't get the forks done, but torque looks good on the head bearings, and I did manage to bleed the brakes and exchange the fluid.

A good day overall.