Sign in to follow this  
Halfling

Asking for some assistance in Colorado Springs

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

14 posts in this topic

Halfling

Is there anyone near Colorado Springs that would consider looking at a trike for me? There's a 2016 there for sale with only 157 miles on it that seems lime too good of a deal to pass up!

Parman

Hi John,

Send Ned a PM. He has been in Colorado for a few days now. He might be able to assist.

Don

Parman

Too late for Ned. I got ahold of him and he is already on the other side of the state now. It was worth a shot.

AZgl1800

Is there anyone near Colorado Springs that would consider looking at a trike for me? There's a 2016 there for sale with only 157 miles on it that seems lime too good of a deal to pass up!

never thought of you as a trike person John....

Halfling

Times change John, I've come to realize that it's either gonna be a trike or don't ride....

AZgl1800

one day, we all have to make that decision...

just like I had to admit that Long Rides for me in the summer can't happen anymore.

We just returned from Austin, TX where we bought a 2004 Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler which will allow me to travel long trips in a/c comfort, and still be able to have living quarters, and a bike garage with me.

post-30-0-43096400-1502465162_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-11882000-1502465187_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-89186200-1502465208_thumb.jpg

AZgl1800

I have a set of Firestone Air Bags on order, the equalizer doesn't quite level up the trailer right now.

I suspicion that will probably change when the 1800 is loaded into the garage, but I want the option of being able to make sure that the whole rig is level on the road.

We really do like our new tow vehicle, it has every option that was available in 2001 on a Suburban.

Dual sun visors!!! wow!!! swing the big one over to the side glass, and you still have a 2nd visor to swing down in front of your eyes.

Rear a/c that really works good, the dogs just went to sleep, end of their worries :)

Plush captain's chairs in front and 2nd row seats! Absolutely perfect for a dog wagon, I removed the 3rd row seat and stored it in the toy hauler garage coming home from  Austin, TX.  That allowed the dogs to have a lot of room, and they can walk between the 2nd row seats and onto a special dog walk ramp with the right side Captain's chair folded up out of the way.

We had a very enjoyable week of it, traveling and staying at different places on the way home.

3 days at Riverview RV Campgrounds, Waco, TX

2 days at my aunt and uncle's home on Hwy 32,  6 miles west of Kingston, OK.

The whole thing traveled quite well, the Suburban has a Tow Haul package on it, made the tranny shifting very predictable. Always seemed to be in the correct gear for the load situation.

OnaWingandaPrayer

John, do you know which transmission the new truck has ? If it's a 4L60E(variant) I think its still recommended not to tow in O/D . You may have the 4L80E as part of the tow pac. I am not sure of the gear recommended for towing with that. Suburbans are sure wonderful travel machines . I hope ya'll enjoy many travels with it.

Mountain rider

John, have you used an equalizer before?  I'm an RV tech and have never known an EQ hitch to not level the load.

DougW

John, have you used an equalizer before?  I'm an RV tech and have never known an EQ hitch to not level the load.

Once he gets the 1800 in the back of that hauler the balance is going to change. I think that is when he will get serious about getting the hitch set properly.

AZgl1800

yes to every question posed above.

I have many 1,000s of  miles behind me towing a 27 ft Yellowstone TT from Borger, TX to Durango, CO and Lake City, CO with a car!!!

well, not the average car, it was a '65 Plymouth Satellite 383 CI, 330 hp, 4 spd tranny and posi-tract ( limited slip ).

and yes, with that car, the whole rig was perfectly level, and I had a m/c trailer behind the TT with my Yamaha 750 cc tour bike on it...

---------------------------

The Suburban has the better tranny, forget which, but I never allow it to go into OD, I run it in 3rd and when the tranny down-shifts from 3rd to 2nd, I make a decision....... if it is a long hill, I move the selector to 2nd and leave it there for a while.

The 5.3L is underpowered for what I need, but I am not in a hurry......

one day, maybe, I can find another 'burb with the 8.1L engine..... but that has serious disadvantages also. it will only get 6 mpg loaded or unloaded....

whereas the 5.3L can get 13 mpg or better unloaded and still do the 6-7 mpg towing the trailer.  so, loaded mpg is the same with either engine.... just that 8.1L makes for a hell of a lot better towing rig.

-----------------------------------

Getting it all level. the '65 Plymouth had an EAZlift and Swaybar combo hookup, I installed both of them myself.  The thing about the EAZlift is that it uses chains to carry the load, and that allows the bars to swing all over the place when a semi drives by you.

This equalizer I have now, uses a solid steel bracket and both bars are Friction Loaded to the trailer frame. This is accompishing the same thing as the Swaybar does....  I have a brand new Swaybar setting in the garage, but I am not sure that I need to put it on.... I will though, just because the Toy Hauler had the Swaybar ball attachments on BOTH sides of the frame?? never saw that before.  and, since I already own a brand new Swaybar, might as well get the ball bracket welded to the truck's hitch.... Best of both worlds that way.

-------------------------------------------

Getting it level..... the equalizer got the rig to within 2 inches of the truck being level, front to back.  close enough to get it home.

Once I get the bike's chock and windshield fixed so it can be loaded up, then I will reappraise the levelness of the trailer.

i am willing to bet, that with a 1,000 lb bike  loaded in the rear of the Toy Hauler, the current Equalizer settings will be good enough, or might even need to be lowered by one bolt hole, which will lower the bar height at the trailer frame, by 1 inch.

--------------------------

Once that is all done, and a trip or three is run with it, i will make a decision on adding the air bags to the rear axle....

I suspicion that needs to be done anyway, just so the truck is slightly more stable... the expense is not bad... depends on whether airbags are used, or the coil spring inserts are bought.

I am not all that enthused about using coil spring insert airbags. anyone have experience with that??

here is a pix of the EQ frame bracket and the EQ bar setting  on top of it....

you can see that the Friction factor of this is almost as good as using a Swaybar plus EQ w/chains.

post-30-0-51562100-1503678295_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-89895300-1503678467_thumb.jpg

I think this is a much better EQ setup over the old Reese, or EAZlift type bar hangers.

DougW

Does the suburban have a rear sway bar on the axel? If not they are not very expensive and can make a difference in handling.

Reason I say this, if the load is level and there is no bounce going on with the rear of the Tow Vehicle but you are having handling problems it is usually because the tires are too low of a load rating or the suspension has no sway bar.

AZgl1800

Doug,

Yes it has a sway bar both front and back.

And there are NO handling issues at all with it as it is now.

The only "problem" is that w/o the bike in the back, the truck's rear bumper is two inches lower than the front bumper.

and that is causing the trailer to also have a forward, downward lean....

I don't like the appearance, but it is not causing me any handling issues at all.

When we are in the truck, and traveling, I don't even notice the "rear bumper low" because it is so slight.

No worse than just loading up a bunch of junk in the back and hauling it off to the dump. :)

you just know that the vehicle is not level.

When I first hooked onto the trailer, the 'E' rated tires had 42 psi in them and I thought that would be enough.

After pulling it from Waco, TX to Kingston, OK where my aunt lives, I decided to push that up to 65 psi and test that out.

Made a very noticeable difference in being able to lighten up on the throttle.

The tires are  rated  at  80 psi on  the  sidewall.

I may push the rear tires to 75 next time I go out and see how that does.

I just did not want to drive around w/o trailer with 75 psi in the tires all the time.

That trip will be very brief though, but with fully loaded waste water tanks, two of them, black and gray tanks, both are 125 gallons.

I still need to flush them out.... I bought some Enzyme tablets to treat the black tank with after I get it flushed  out  good.

found some RV enthusiasts with their own private/public recipes for making a black tank smell sweet, costs less than a buck to make a gallon of the stuff.... compare that to $9.88 at Camping World :)

but,I wont be doing the recipe, as we are not full time RV'ers.... they are...makes a hell of a difference...

use it everyday, dump it every time it is full, empty before you pull out every time, and you never have a problem.

DougW

Oh heck then, you are all set.

Just get the hitch adjusted when you have it at full travelling load and you should be good to go.

I would just put the 80 PSI in the tires when pulling the camper full.