NAGF News Ticker
  • New Feature!!!
  • The Tutorial Feature has Launched With Its First Tutorial...
  • "Using Classified Adverts"
  • Be Sure To Check It Out...
  • By Clicking On "Tutorials" In The Menu!!!
  • AND...
  • Watch For More Tutorials On The Way!
Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Old age combined with stupidity

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Estella and I decided last Friday to just get away from everything and go camping.  We went to Carlyle Lake and stayed in an Army Corp of Engineers campground With our Senior pass it was $8 a night. After three nice nights of camping we headed home today.  It is a 93 mile trip.

Now for the stupid part.  We got within 100 yards of our turn onto the gravel road leading to our home.  The chip and seal road we were on is known as the shock absorber test road.  We hit one of the bumps at about 20 mph and the trailer came unhooked and went down on the safety chains. When we got stopped the hitch was under the back of the bike.  So we pushed the trailer back and saw where BOZO struck.  The hitch locking lever was pinned in the unlatched position.  I always call out each of the hitching steps so I do not forget anything.  A fellow camper was talking to me when I was hooking the trailer and I DID NOT do my ritual.

We drove 92 miles with about a 40 lb hitch weight in a very hard wind from the starboard side that made one like Dave O 430  in a curve.  If any one questions the need for safety chains I can tell you YES! THEY ARE NEEDED.

• Like 1

Johnny R

May be embarrassing to print this for all the world to see, but thank you for doing so!

• Like 1

AJ1500

glad to hear you got lucky this time, sure beats the title of I was drug off into the ditch by a runaway camper :Face-Smile-Big:

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Glad things worked out  -  ole man!   :thumbs-up:

You Got Lucky   .....   this time!!

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

glad to hear you got lucky this time, sure beats the title of I was drug off into the ditch by a runaway camper :Face-Smile-Big:

It was very surprising that the trailer did not shake the bike around.  It was just the noise  and I saw the trailer wobble side to side a few inches.  I just slowed down slowly so the tongue would not run up under the bike.  OOPS I hit the button too quick.

The road we were on was probably the worse road for that to happen due to it's unevenness and ability to move even trucks side to side.  The trailer tongue dragging on the road provided much of the braking.  

I had always wondered how a bike could handle such a case.  Some say the chains should be short enough that the tongue should not drop to the pavement.  On a bike that distance is very short and the chains would have to be very short.  So now my thought is that the tongue dropping to the road was the best thing.  It provided a drag on the trailer which kept it off the back of the bike and by letting the bike slowly come to a stop it made the whole process not out of control.  

Yes it was embarrassing to tell this and how I stupidly did not follow the cadence of HITCH, PIN, CHAINS, LIGHTS, LIGHT CHECK and say it OUT LOUD.  Also it also is showing how getting older affects things like that.  Just last week I hunted my shop all over for the chuck key to the big old Craftsman 1/2" drill.  I found it.  It was in my hand.  

Old age ain't for sissies.

• Like 2

Galaxyhunter

Gary,  you are suffering from CRS.  The main cause of that is TMB's.  I know it WILL happen to me.  :sad-face:

Monkeytrucker

Carl, have a safe trip to WV and do not forget to check the hitch latch.  Hope you do not join the old peoples group too soon.  

Have to take Estella to the MD today.  She got some kind of bug bite last week and it has been getting bigger and red streaks are now 4" long.  Finally had to "ORDER HER" to call the Doc today.  She would not listen at my telling her last week.  My ordering her was just telling her what she knew needed to be done.