*** North American Summer Rally - NASR 10 "Let us take you back" July 11-13, 2017 Seneca Rocks WV *** NASR 10 Information

Photo

Planning Trip from Saskatchewan into the USA

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 PaPa John

PaPa John

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan, Canada
  • Goldwing Model:Sold - Looking
  • Model Year:????
  • First Name:John

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yep. Planning camping trip in August to parts I have never been to. :)  
Starting around the 8th of August with no end date yet.

From Regina Sk. Canada to Cody Wy and surrounding area, then onto
The Black Hills, SD. Going to coincide trip to miss Sturgis Rally.

I am looking for suggestions on campgrounds for my stay, as I have been researching
campgrounds and noticed that the reviews are all over the map. So that is why I a reaching out
to other motorcycle campers for honest opinions. I plan on camping for  several days in one location
and riding out each day for daily jaunts then back to the campsite. I am looking at the Cody KOA
as there is a pool for relaxing and shower facilities.

Upon moving on to the Black Hills, I am looking at Chris" Campground in Spearfish as it appears to
be a well thought of campground. Looks like a good place to strike out each day in different
directions.

I look forward to all your suggestions and input.

Thanks

John

#2 Mountain rider

Mountain rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRigby, Idaho
  • Goldwing Model:Aspencade 1200 SEi
  • Model Year:1986
  • First Name:Dave

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hey, John

I'd take a look at one of the Good Sams camp grounds in Cody.  It's been a few years since I was there last, but the KOA didn't impress me.  There's a Veterinary clinic close by, so we had dogs barking early in the morning making sleeping in a bit of a problem.  It's also in the flight path for the airport, so a lot of air traffic.  There was a very nice camp ground closer to town, but I don't remember the name.  While you're there, check out the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum.  If you take your time, it'll take a couple days just to see it all.  Good Luck and enjoy your trip.  Drive safe and keep the shiny side up. :)

#3 PaPa John

PaPa John

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hey, John

I'd take a look at one of the Good Sams camp grounds in Cody.  It's been a few years since I was there last, but the KOA didn't impress me.  There's a Veterinary clinic close by, so we had dogs barking early in the morning making sleeping in a bit of a problem.  It's also in the flight path for the airport, so a lot of air traffic.  There was a very nice camp ground closer to town, but I don't remember the name.  While you're there, check out the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum.  If you take your time, it'll take a couple days just to see it all.  Good Luck and enjoy your trip.  Drive safe and keep the shiny side up. :)

Thanks Mountain Rider this is a big help in planning.

Does anyone have an information about Ponderosa Campground in Cody Wy?  Reviews on this one is also a mixed bag.

John

#4 Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationSouth Western Ontario, Canada
  • Goldwing Model:Aspencade
  • Model Year:1992
  • First Name:Ken

Posted 2 weeks ago

Ponderosa Campground is right on the bend of a busy highway. Never stayed there. I think maybe beenshot, pwhoever and Parman stayed there (?)

Why not go further west along hwy 14/16/20 and stay at a quieter US National Forest campsite. Closer to Yellowstone NP!!

Staying in Spearfish makes it a lot further to take in the area where most of the attractions are in the Black Hills area.

Custer is a much more central base camp area!!

• Parman and wpgfire like this

#5 PaPa John

PaPa John

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Ponderosa Campground is right on the bend of a busy highway. Never stayed there. I think maybe beenshot, pwhoever and Parman stayed there (?)

Why not go further west along hwy 14/16/20 and stay at a quieter US National Forest campsite. Closer to Yellowstone NP!!

Staying in Spearfish makes it a lot further to take in the area where most of the attractions are in the Black Hills area.

Custer is a much more central base camp area!!

Thanks Dusty Boots.

This is just the type of information I am looking for.  I am just in the beginning stages of planning this little jaunt.  Right now, the wife

and I are busy putting together our camping trip (via cage as se no longer rides) into the northern  part of Saskatchewan (Anglin Lake,

Great Blue Heron Provincial Park area) for a week.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

John

#6 pwhoever

pwhoever

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationN/E Illinois
  • Goldwing Model:GL1500 and GL1800
  • Model Year:1997 and 2007
  • First Name:Mike

Posted 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the Ponderosa campground for several days last summer, late July, with Parman, Beenshot, and Belinda, Beenshot's wife. We were all using Aspen campers. We set up in the section in the back down by the creek and teepees. It is a primitive site, so no eletric hookup, but was clean and quiet. The only real power I would have needed was for a cell phone but I would just charge it up on the bike during the day so power wasn't really necessary. There was a charging station that could be used over in the corner past the portapotties. Not a lot of shade but since we werent there during the day, no biggie. The short road down to the site we used is a bit steep but very doable. Going down wasn't too bad, going back up, just had to keep in a lower gear and the rpm's up. There are portapotties to use in that section and at the top of the steep road, there is a bathroom and shower that was nice and clean. We spent all day out and about so didnt really check out any of the campground amenities. One thing to mention was they only take cash, no credit cards. I think the rates for primitive sites were a bit on the high side but I liked the place. It is also on the west side of town which got you out of town a little quicker to avoid in town traffic on the way to Chief Joseph Hwy, Beartooth Pass, etc... There is also several places to eat close by such as various fast food and a sit down restaurant called Sunset House that was decent. There is also a Wal-Mart very close by.

There is also a new campground that just opened this year. It was created by a motorcycle enthusiast and geared towards motorcycle riders. It is just west of Cody on 14 and just past the Buffalo Bill Reservoir. I don't really know too much about it. I do see the prices for tent camping are a bit cheaper than Ponderosa. It also would avoid all the Cody traffic.
Here is their website:
http://wowmccg.com/

#7 Parman

Parman

• Moderators
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800
  • Model Year:2010
  • First Name:Don

Posted 2 weeks ago

Here is the Ponderosa Camping area. There is also lots that have electric up in another section of the campground. This is the primitive area. Nice clean shower house and laundry facilities in this campground.

http://codyponderosa.com/

Attached Files

#8 Parman

Parman

• Moderators
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800
  • Model Year:2010
  • First Name:Don

Posted 2 weeks ago

We also stayed at Elk Fork Campground which is a primitive campground with vaulted toilets. No water or showers. I believe it was either 10 or 15 dollars a night and about 25 miles from the east gate of Yellowstone and 28 miles back to Cody if my memory serves me right. There is only one more campground closer that allows soft shell camping for tent campers. Not much around there for amenities so you need to plan well before camping there. It was probably one of my favorite spots we camped on our trip last year.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users