• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationReidsville N.C.
  • Goldwing Model:1800
  • Model Year:2015
  • First Name:Alan

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Many of you know Ruthie and I had a mishap with a deer last week. Well insurance totaled the bike so now we are in serch of another one. My question is on the newer body style 12 and up are they cooler, hotter or about the same as far as heat from the engine. Test rode a 12 and noticed the vents about you knee caps are not there on the newer style. We were riding an 08 so anything y'all can help with we would appreciate

#2 DaveO430

DaveO430

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationAmity ar.
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800
  • Model Year:2010
  • First Name:David

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

No difference really. Those vents didn't do anything anyway, they are supposed to be heat vents. 

#3 pearl rider

pearl rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Dave. I know when they were open by accident in the summer I could tell but really couldn't feel the warm in the winter

I guess the looks and new lines or design is what made me think it might be a little bit cooler in the hot weather

#4 Indianawantsme

Indianawantsme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSchnellville,IN. USA
  • Goldwing Model:GL800
  • Model Year:2012
  • First Name:Steve

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

'12 has toe warmers, heated seats and grips and not sure if your 08 did.  OEM windshield has vent plus i have windwings i can open. Mirror wings are a must for passenger buffeting.  I like the air from wind wing by my knee open and puts air on my mid section.  I don't like the crap coming through the windshield vent hitting me right in the eyes or bees on my lap. The vent is just in a bad placement for me and most people love the vent and wouldn't do without it.

The fairing is supposed to be a little wider than older models and seems to be.  I didn't measure.  

More luggage capacity is a benefit.  Stumble and decel wobble are not a benefit.  USB in the trunk is nice along with AUX input in left box if installed and large center glovebox is great for me. 

#5 pearl rider

pearl rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

Tell me more about the stumble and wobble. I am going to look at a 12 early Saturday morning so anything in particular I need to look cor

#6 Indianawantsme

Indianawantsme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

I just got lucky and got a bike with decel wobble from a high 45mph down to 30mph.  Most bikes would only have it from 35mph down to maybe 25mph if they have it at all  . Hoping tapered strg brgs this winter will take care of it.  New tires all around and it still does it. No change at all even with tightening OEM brgs to spec.

'12 i test drove in '12 didn't do it and neither did the '06 i test drove.  Luck of the draw.

Stumble is more of a flat spot right above idle up to 2000rpm as bike is warming up and halfway between cold and normal operating temp. Normal is right under half gauge line on mine.  Halfway between that and cold is where the flat spot is.  More noticeable and longer lasting when colder outside and 1st gear. You can hear it being lean condition if you listen.  Hold throttle steady if you hear and feel it. You can slowly open throttle more. If you open it quickly it will catch and accelerate unexpectedly.  More or less a scary jerk.  

If i am at gas station for a while and it cools down to halfway then mine will stumble again, but in this warm weather it doesn't last long. I had the Guhl reflash done and ECM will go back this winter. Just needs a little more adjustment.    Some bikes are worse than others it seems. Another luck of the draw.

• pearl rider likes this

#7 Indianawantsme

Indianawantsme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Fly told me at NASR10 his identical as mine fastest color '12 had bad decel wobble at 45mph also and steering brgs DID get rid of it.

#8 AZgl1800

AZgl1800

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationLake Oologah, OK
  • Model Year:2002
  • First Name:John

Posted 3 weeks ago

my '02 has a SuperBrace and the Traxxion springs in the OEM forks.

It does not have an wobble on decel at all.

E3 front tire with more than 6,000 miles on it and no cupping in evidence.

Both front and rear tires have Dyna Beads in them. Never any out of balance ever.

#9 terryj

terryj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon
  • First Name:Terry

Posted A week ago

The 2012 and up also have vent holes right under the trunk where the latch releases are, this is suppose to allow for more air flow under the seat. Honda also claims it reduces drag, I don't know about this, for this is my first GL1800. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users