NAGF News Ticker
  • New Feature!!!
  • The Tutorial Feature has Launched With Its First Tutorial...
  • "Using Classified Adverts"
  • Be Sure To Check It Out...
  • By Clicking On "Tutorials" In The Menu!!!
  • AND...
  • Watch For More Tutorials On The Way!
Indianawantsme

rear ended

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

Indianawantsme

On Legion Fund Run today and not sure what this inexperienced woman Harley rider was thinking. I was told she hit the throttle instead of brake. Not sure how you do that on a bike, but she really walloped me good.  She had no business being in the middle of 40 bikes and doesn't know how to ride. 

I was the 10th bike in the line to pull out in staggered formation and a STOP sign coming up in a few hundred feet and WAM i got hit in the right rear and shoved me forward. She hit panel between the black center piece and saddle bag and needs new one.   The right muffler is scratched and took the hit. No exhaust leak but not sure how the muffler is attached and if any damage further up the line. Will try and get estimate ASAP.    State Farm agents secretary that is both our insurance was riding her own Harley so that is good and was there to see what happened.

The gal that hit me glanced off my bike and hit another but just left paint on his crashbar.  The people behind said she really hit me hard and was surprised i didn't go down.. Yep, she hit me hard and went down.   All i saw in my mirror was the bottom of her bike laying crossways in the road and thought it was on top of her.  It wasn't and no visible injuries to her, but she was really shook up. 

Knocked my Garmin GPS off and cracked the screen so i need to get it fixed too.   

I was planning on making the Nassir 10 but can't make reservations for anything at this point.  BIKE is not the problem as far as i know.

Mud volleyball that i help run on  Sunday July 9th and was hoping to leave early Monday July 10th if i can get out of bed. I play and help keep score when not playing and clean up afterwards.  Long day for this old man. 

Retired and will never get caught up at this rate.  

OnaWingandaPrayer

IT's good to hear that you are OK Steve . The  damage can be repaired . Sadly it may cut into your ride time while work is done to the bike.

brianinpa

Glad you ok. You describe the reason I rarely ride in a pack.

Indianawantsme

My cousin and i rode by ourselves to the next stops along the way.

The other 1800 rider missed me the rest of the day  since we were the only ones with CB talking to each other earlier in the ride.

Found the main body of saddlebag needs to be replaced too when i inspected today. That is an expensive piece at  $571 list.   Maybe $1000 damage now.  I can't see any damage to exhaust other than the chrome tip($179).  I find that hard to believe as hard as she hit me and hope when i get an estimate they don't miss anything. 

Rum and diet Pepsi knocked me out last night. lol

Galaxyhunter

Steve, The way you described the accident, It was totally your fault.  It is painfully obvious that you was occupying the space that she wanted.      :SmileyTooth:  

Glad to hear that you are okay. 

jobe05

Glad your ok Steve, the rest the insurance company can deal with! 

I too don't ride in large packs for that reason, ya never know the abilities or riding skills of those around you.

Indianawantsme

Carl: I think my LED brakelights blinded her.    She doesn't like Steve's. She hit mine and glanced off and hit another guy named Steve on a Harley.  Only 3 Goldwings in about 40 bikes and she hits mine.  With those odds i need to buy some lottery tickets. 

Thanks John

AZgl1800

Steve,

I am so sorry you won't be at NASR10, was really looking forward to seeing you.

you can drive down in the car instead, that is what I am doing, as I can't handle a lot of heat....

when the temps hit 85* I am done for, and have to find a motel.

so, the bike stays home, and Cyndi and I are bringing the dogs/cat with us in the car....

we will be there Saturday afternoon, leaving on Friday morning for Bluffton, IN.

Indianawantsme

I will know more tomorrow i hope if the bike can get fixed before then or what. I don't want them to tear it down and then sit for a couple of months during riding season because they don't have time to finish it.  It is driveable right now.

RHalbur

Glad to hear nothing serious. I hope you can get the bike fixed and make it to NASR 10.

Parman

Well dang Steve. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hopefully they can get your parts and wing back together soon.

I quit riding in those type of group events because of crap just like this. I've seen a few close call and accidents in these type of events.

I prefer to ride in small group of riders I know and trust.

pwhoever

Glad you are ok. The bike can be repaired. One thing I wanted to mention...

I know with the 1500's, any rearend collisions where the saddlebags were damaged, it was almost certain that the sabblebag subframe would get tweaked. If it wasn't replaced, you would quite often see gaps and/or saddlebags that no longer fit properly. This could also extend to the sidecovers no longer fitting right as the attach directly to the saddlebags and could result in broken pins. It was very hard to see the frame damage just by eying that subframe. You could usually push the insurance company to replace it. I'm guessing that the 1800's probably are susceptible to the same damage. If it were me, I would press hard to have the subframe replaced as well.

Indianawantsme

Thanks guys.  I was told she wasn't looking in front of her at the time. Looked away for a bit.       WTF!!!!!!

I was worried about that subframe too Mike especially since the muffler is bolted onto it and took a tremendous hit.  I am really worried about the exhaust system being damaged.   Insurance agent said an adjuster will call.  Agent said i don't need to get an estimate. I called a local trike place just to talk to them. They said they would give me an estimate if i want. Not sure how thorough they will be if they don't take anything apart to look at it. 

• Like 1

youngnbald

Glad you're ok Steve!  Always a risk with people.

Parman

Thanks guys.  I was told she wasn't looking in front of her at the time. Looked away for a bit.       WTF!!!!!!

I was worried about that subframe too Mike especially since the muffler is bolted onto it and took a tremendous hit.  I am really worried about the exhaust system being damaged.   Insurance agent said an adjuster will call.  Agent said i don't need to get an estimate. I called a local trike place just to talk to them. They said they would give me an estimate if i want. Not sure how thorough they will be if they don't take anything apart to look at it. 

Get an estimate from the Honda Dealer as well. after your adjuster finishes his estimate compare them.

Pearl Rider

Glad to here your ok

Indianawantsme

Our local Honda dealer sucks. He had a Yamaha shop and bought out the Honda shop also and hates Hondas is what i heard. They have very little experience with Goldwings except doing the recalls and would gripe as soon as he saw the car tire.  

Next closest is 60 miles and not sure how good they are. Wasn't too impressed with them last time i was there.

Indianawantsme

The local trike shop is so busy and shorthanded i can't get it in to get an estimate until July 5th. The service manager seems knowledgeable of the hidden damage that could be done to the subframe.  He said i have to leave it so they can take the bag off and inspect all that and put it back together if i want to to go  SR10.  $75 for an estimate.  Insurance said i had up to 2yrs  to get estimate.  Weird.  I will have a beat up Wing if i make it to SR10 but i will be riding.   CAGE doesn't get if for me when there is such nice riding to do. 

A couple of pics i took today. Various parts out of alignment, broken and cracked further in there. Doesn't look too bad but not what i want to see.

Garmin GPS is ordered and on its way and should be in soon.  I can take my time to send the old one to Garmin($99) or get a replacement screen and put it in myself. Haven't found a decent replacement screen for my Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-HD. Just Chinese.

Looks worse in person than the pics.

post-5283-0-21667500-1497992224_thumb.jpg

post-5283-0-07590700-1497992320_thumb.jpg

Dusty Boots

Glad you are OK, Steve.

Sorry about the mishap.

Hate to say it but the saddlebag stay looks to be bent as well, if you look how the centre panel is pulled off to the right, leaving a gap between it and the left saddlebag!

Good luck with timely repairs!

Indianawantsme

Dusty:        I noticed that too and pretty sure it is bent.  I don't know if the left saddlebag is ok since it has had the center  black piece pull on it somewhat.   The center black piece is pretty flexible and not really damaged except a small gouge but i want it replaced anyhow. If it was my fault and would have to fix my own bike i would not replace it. With that hard of hit the exhaust has to be pushed a little forward too. Hope they find everything wrong and fix it.  I want it back to as close to perfect as it was since it wasn't my fault and will be paid by other insurance.

Will know more July 5th.  

Edit:  Found the subframe under engine guards on the parts fiche for $609 and all the bags come off to replace that beast.  

Indianawantsme

Toe warmers were halfway open since the accident and not good when it is 90F out.  Took left wind wings off and molding to get left pocket out.   The cable had come out of its mounting on the slide lever.  Easy fix just pushing it back into its slot.

• Like 1

Buckfarrack

Man i would had gone half nuts.That's IGNORANT. Here we woorry about some idiot on a cell phone and one of our own rams you in the back.WoW.

Rant over.Well,just glad you are ok buddy.Hope they get ur bike fully repaired soon man. 

Indianawantsme

Thanks Buck:

I wasn't too happy when it happened and tried not to chew her out for ruining my day and summer really..  Don't know what hidden damage they might miss and shows up later.  Had the 88 for 11yrs  with some really close calls.  Now get a practically new bike and this happens from another rider.  

Retired and getting farther and farther behind it seems.  Sure didn't need or want more to do. Just a lot of hassle getting it fixed sometime.  

Monkeytrucker

How much did Rowena have to pay Kamikaze Sally to hit you?  Just kidding, Rowena would have used a baseball bat on you herself.   :)

West Side Honda in Evansville have always done me right.  They could trike your bike in 2 days.  Glad you were not hurt.   

Indianawantsme

Bike is in shop today and won't be back until it is done.  Estimate is $2100.  Subframe is not bent they assured me.  Exhaust checked okay except muffler tip will be replaced.   I get to keep old parts. The main bag i don't want i don't think since it  has broken off bracket. and cracked on another part under there.  

Right Lid is getting replaced and old one has chips on the btm corner that don't look that bad so i will keep it.  Rear center black is getting replaced also and is marred up a little, but i will keep it.    

Have to rebuild front master cylinder on 78-750k and if that doesn't do it i will rebuild caliper also.  It will be my ride until i get the Wing back.

Wife is not happy Wing isn't here to ride. Definitely her favorite of my 3 bikes.

Need loss of use from insurance company like i got  14yrs ago when '83 got totalled.