NAGF News Ticker
  • New Arrivals!!!
  • The NAGF Online Store...
  • AND
  • The NEW Classifieds System (Adverts)...
  • ARE NOW ONLINE!!!
  • Each with a detailed "Walkthrough" available
  • Check the New Dropdown Menu for Access...
m2102

Time for the knee

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

m2102

Well I was hoping to make it to end of riding season but don't think I can make it. I go to Dr for another shot in my knee on the 29th. I'm going to see when I can get it done. The way it's been lately the sooner the better. The knee makes the hip I screws in hurt and not letting it heal and is starting to be harder to stand up from chair and to sit. Pain pills I have aren't touching it very well. Terri and I have talked about it and decided it's time to get it done. I'm ready to be as pain free ads possible.

Steed

We ride for enjoyment and to relax, not to be in pain. Do what you need to do and know that our thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery are with you.

m2102

Thanks Steed. It's been long time coming.

Monkeytrucker

Hey Mike, I heard some where on the news that they are about to release a plastic (actually close to a contact lens) that can be inserted into the knee joint thru a tiny incision.  If it is true it is about time.  My hope is I can make it to that day.  If not then this winter a new knee.

Here is the link.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/03/12/artificial-cartilage-implants-may-reduce-need-for-knee-replacement-surgery.html 

take care 

m2102

That sounds like it will help a lot of people that have been putting it off. But I can't wait for it, maybe when the other one goes bad. I've already put it off to long.

m2102

Well it's official. November 20th is therefore knee surgery. Between then and now I can have 1 more shot in it if I need it no later than first of September. Have to see my others Dr's to get their ok. About a week before blood work and half day of what to expect. My Dr that gave me the last shot must have thought it was bad enough that he got me the appointment today. It was supposed to have been 3 months from now. He said I should be up and running 6 weeks after it's done. Till then need to get in what riding I can.

dwsonar

Best of luck to you. Probably best to get it done, then get back to enjoying all the things you can't do now. 

m2102

This last shot I got has helped in getting more range of motion in my hip to get it working better. Going up stairs and putting weight on that leg and get a sharp pain. Dr says it's scar tissue and the more I use it the better it will get. The shot makes for better walking and new knee will be even better all around.

Monkeytrucker

Hey Mike, I have a box of grease fittings that might help..... :Face-Raspberry:

m2102

Should have asked to have one In my hip with the screws,lol.

Monkeytrucker

Hey Mike, it is not too late.  We could simply tap a tube in thru the skin and install a flexible grease line.  Maybe just swallow a teaspoon of oil each day.  Hey, how about a spoon full of Caster Oil each day.  Can guarantee you your knee and hip would be the least of your problems......

:roflmao:

m2102

Good ideas all of them Gary. I'll give them some thought,lol.

Now that I have a date to get it done I wish it wasn't so far. 4 months seems like forever.

OnaWingandaPrayer

I can not offer any personal insight, only what I was told by the mother n law . When she had her knees done ( both at once) she wished they would have had her doing leg exercise previous to the surgery. She felt it would have made the recovery/rehab better.

Prayers for the Lord to watch over and guide the skilled hands doing your upgrade.  

m2102

Thank you for the thought. A little help from above doesn't hurt. My Dr hasn't said anything about exercises prior to replacement. He also doesn't do the little machine that works your knee mechanicly. My mom had a knee done and used one. The month before replacement I'll have blood work done and getting the ok from my other Dr's. For part of a day I go to a class of sorts that goes over the process. I have confidence in my Dr, he has over 6k replacements to his credit.

AZgl1800

It only makes sense, that the stronger your leg muscles are, before the surgery, the easier it will be to do the rehab therapy.

m2102

I do agree it would help recovery. I'll have to see about doing some leg exercises. Walking helps and I do much as I can.

youngnbald

Good luck Mike!

m2102

Thanks Mark. Been needing to have it done for a while. I new 7 years ago it would eventually need to be done. Eventually has arrived.

thecruiser

Mike, Good Luck with your knee replacement. Mine was 4 years ago this week.

My advice would be to NOT to neglect your therapy post-surgery and DON'T watch the U-tube video of a knee replacement until AFTER your surgery.  :Face-Raspberry:

tricky

Like the doc said, "after we get past the muscles and blood vessels etc, it's just carpentry" :)

m2102

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a video is on YouTube. Has just about everything else. That would not be on my things to watch list.

m2102

Besides carpentry should also be a little metal work also.

Monkeytrucker

Think about it, all surgeons are basically Butchers, carpenters and tailors all rolled into one.

m2102

That puts a picture in my head I don't need,lol. The dedication they have for what they do is impresive. The bed side manner some have ain't so good but they are good at what they do.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.