• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationSt. Francisville, IL USA
  • Goldwing Model:1800
  • Model Year:10
  • First Name:Gary

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Estella and I were getting set up to enjoy the great predicted weather down at Land Between the Lakes (LBL) this  weekend.  Camper out and ready to go, Gold Wing all ready to go and the first camping trip of the year locked in.

Well until Wednesday.  My back started hurting really bad while helping in her Hostas garden.  Thursday it felt better so I mowed most of the yard while it was raining lightly because I did not want to return home to a jungle.  Thursday afternoon it was hurting extremely bad and I was on a hot pad and some strong pain killers.  So Estella called the pain center where they have done good things before on my joints.  Friday morning we went there and saw the MD.  When he saw that getting out of the chair so he could feel my spine was almost pass out time he got serious.  His best guess is a fractured vertebrae and we were immediately off to the hospital for X-Rays and MRI.  The hospital told them they could get me in for a MRI on the 22nd.  So Doc got on the phone and explained to them he wanted it now if not sooner.  He got it done.

He did inject some magic cortisone into the muscle he said was bulged out and obviously not feeling too pert.  He did explain that repair of the vertebrae was not that bad.  They stick a needle in, push a balloon into the vertebrae and expand it back to full height and then inject the same cement in it as they do with a new hip.

So LBL this weekend is a future past memory.  Hey Dear, can I have another pain pill.

:Face-Crying:

#2 m2102

m2102

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • Locationpontiac. illinois
  • Goldwing Model:1800, red of course
  • Model Year:2001
  • First Name:mike

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

Of it wasn't for us the Dr's wouldn't have anything to do, lol.
Let that back heal up good before next adventure.

#3 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

We have the x-ray and MRI photos.  I do not think that one has to be an MD to see where the problem.  Right in the area where the pain is strongest 2 vertebrae do not look the same as their neighbors.   I only hope that he can simply stick a needle in them, push in low viscosity cement that sets in minutes and we walk out the door to go home.  Some call it a permanent inside cast.  I just hope I call it fixed.  What is most painful is that it is a beautiful weekend;  We should have been pulling into the Hillman Ferry Campground in about an hour....

#4 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

Yesterday we decided to do a hail Mary and try injections into the spine.  Doc loaded up his BIG syringe and pushed a bunch of bowling balls in there. At least that is what it felt like.

Got home today,  Took a couple of Rush Limbaugh favorites and went out and mowed about 3 acres.  Took a couple more Rush Limbaugh pills before evening chow and are going to stay immobile this evening.  Tomorrow will tell and we are hoping for the best.

#5 m2102

m2102

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • Locationpontiac. illinois
  • Goldwing Model:1800, red of course
  • Model Year:2001
  • First Name:mike

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

We sure hope they got it dialed in. Got to much to fi.

#6 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

Well is is not perfect and probably not anywhere near permanent but with pain pills helping me Estella and I worked on making shade panels for her hosta garden today.  Got 5 made and did 750 sq. ft. of 5 color camouflage paint put on the shades.  Not to hide any thing, just to break up the visual of the shades.  Tried to get her to paint them some wild color to make them stand out but got over ruled on that.  I think she had fun using the spray gun on the end of a 100' air hose to paint the panels.  I got to sit in a chair and play like I was boss.

#7 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

Grandson got here to spend a few days while on his way to Evansville, IN and his job with the University of Southern Indiana's summer theater as a set carpenter.  He is building a 2" pipe structure 25' by 25' that is 8' off the ground.  He enjoys welding and welding using the gasoline powered welder is different.  

The structure will allow stretching real shade cloth and not be as funny looking as the art installation of flapping plastic strips.

Karl is 21 and has done more stuff than many guys twice his age.  Of it was not planned he would get the big abrasion on his forehead that got there when I swung a stub end of pipe as a hammer and he got his head in the way of my back stroke.

#8 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN!  We just got back from a "decompression" trip to Land Between the Lakes.  Three days and 2 nights out.  The Aspen Classic behind the 1800, a ride around Mexico (KY) and when we got back we had logged a little over 500 miles.  Back to the grind Thursday morning......

• pwhoever and Buckfarrack like this

#9 OnaWingandaPrayer

OnaWingandaPrayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Florida
  • Goldwing Model:GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1500, GL1800
  • Model Year:1975, 1983I, 1986SEi, 1993A, 1994SE, 2003 ABS
  • First Name:Mike

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:48 AM

there is nothing like a good decompression . Glad you were finally able to get out and enjoy a few days away. 

#10 mowerdoc

mowerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationRavenel
  • Goldwing Model:gl1100 Interstate
  • Model Year:1982
  • First Name:James

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle

#11 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

Now I need some compression.  Have absolutely no drive or energy.  Do not even feel like going for a ride on a Sunday.  However the Absolutely Gotta Do list keeps growing.  Had hopes of winning a little bit of that big lottery so I could hire things to be done.  But then I feel sorry for those who have to pay to have everything done including plunging their toilet. Must be awful to be helpless.

• AZgl1800 likes this

#12 AZgl1800

AZgl1800

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationLake Oologah, OK
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800
  • Model Year:2002
  • First Name:John

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

I have those same feelings...

know how to do it, but just don't feel like doing it...

got out early this morning, set up the 15 gallon sprayer tank and poured in the 2-4D mix and filled it with water.

Drove the Golf cart w/trailer around my six acres and sprayed all of the fence lines, circles around the trees so i don't have to use a weedeater every time I mow.

• Monkeytrucker likes this

#13 Buckfarrack

Buckfarrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationis near the Monkey's Eyebrow,Ky.
  • Goldwing Model:GL FiF-Teen Hunnerd
  • Model Year:1997
  • First Name:BUcK

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

Son-of-a-gun Gary,hit-n-miss. WE were at LBL same time you were there!!! Donna and I loaded up my 900XP Razor and rode LBL on a Sunday.
Also,Monday this week,we got back to our camp from riding in eastern TN,just west of Knoxville.242,000 acres of Cumberland Mountains. Was out there in April for a week and already made reservations to go back for a week Oct 18th.This place cover 4 counties.You HAVE to have a guide or downloaded maps or you WILL be lost for days.NO towns or roads or GAS.It is one of the best hobbies i have ever done.Glad to see y'all are getting around again.Can't wait to to yall soon.Tell the boss we said howdy.

Attached Files

• Parman and Monkeytrucker like this

#14 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

The one ride down the trace we went past the OHV parking area.  Actually thought about pulling in to look at some of the vehicles.  We have been trying for 4 years to get our daughter and her husband to take their sand rails down there.  Christy drives hers to work and the vendors love to be taken out for lunch in it.  

I am amazed at how many people have the Harley Davidson syndrome.  They want one so bad they can taste it and then they buy one.  What do they do with them?  They clean and polish them, set them out in their driveway, ride to the coffee shop all leathered up  wearing a do-rag and tell tales about all of the great rides they want to do.  Then after a few years they sell it for peanuts with less than a thousand miles on it.  My good friend who I built the 23 T roadster for finally acquiesced to my harangues and got a license plate for it.  His dream for years was to get the roadster and drive it to the show in Duquoin, IL (which is going on this weekend) and to the frog follies in Evansville, IN pulling his teardrop camper.  Well he is at the Duquoin show but went there with his son in his son's car.  But he has a 23 T roadster!  As for the frog follies show which is one of the largest car shows in the nation he will be going with his multi-millionaire brother in little brothers newest Ford pickup with every option available except the diesel.  My friend had to have the tear drop camper so he bought one new.  Does he use it?  Heck no as he cannot crawl in and out of it, BUT he has one sitting in front of his house.  He has taken it places but sleeps in a chair under a tarp strung out from the tear drop.  I built his a 3 wheel auto-cycle from a cherry 1976 Kawasaki Venture.  Had he licensed it or drove it?  NO!. But he has one.  He has a Mazda Miata that he had to have.  Top has never been put up on it and the hardtop he had to have has never been on it.  I will say that in the 16+ years he has owned it he had driven it about 1500 miles.  But he has one.  He has a nice Dodge pickup that he actually uses a bit and the farthest he has driven it is to my place when he brought the stuff for me to make the auto-cycle.  But he has one.  He had to have a Toyota Echo and his wife actually uses it.  Then he had to have a Pontiac Vibe and he drives it.  When his brother bought a 23 T roadster body over in KY my friend went to get it.  I told him to drive the Dodge but he said he could get the body in the Vibe.  YEAH RIGHT!  So he hauled it back to Carbondale strapped on top of the Vibe.  I laughed at his remembering how I have told him numerous times to put a twist or two in those ratchet straps.  Well he remembered it a very few miles from home.  The strap flutter drove them nuts for 200 miles.  HA HA!  

His brother is just as bad, he lives in MO. and has a huge building full of project vehicles.  But he has them.  He has a cherry 47 Chevy pickup with a 54 Corvette blue flame 6 cylinder complete with the multiple carbs.  He has all of his cars on rollers so he can get to the one he wants to look at.  He did have a harley that he and one of his friends rode to Alaska and back.  That cured his mythical American Dream.

Yes the Harley Davidson syndrome is a true disease and as Steve can tell you the fairer sex is infected also but do not get enough miles between polishing to actually know how to drive one.

Rod, I am glad you and all of the other people on this forum do not suffer from the syndrome.  Well Dusty does if you do not count the thousands of miles he puts on in a year.  

Think I will try to talk Estella into going for a ride this evening.  I need a quart of paint to paint the mower deck on the Allis-Chalmers tractor.  Maybe the mud road will be near dry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users