• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationSt. Francisville, IL USA
  • Goldwing Model:1800
  • Model Year:10
  • First Name:Gary

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:35 AM

We have had trouble with raccoons digging up plants.  So we started trapping them and relocating them.  Now the last 2 days we have had a coon that is able to get the bait can out of the trap.  The trap is tripped but the can is out of the trap.  So tonight I wired the can to the end of the cage and it should trip the trap messing with the can.  Will be interesting to see if we get it.  I am spraying different colors on the backs  and looking to see if they are returning after being relocated.

#2 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Out smarted that coon.  It is trapped and scheduled for relocation.  Unless it has paint on its back then it will get permanently relocated to Coon purgatory. 

It has shredded the cat food can wired to the back of the cage.

• kamikaze84 likes this

#3 kamikaze84

kamikaze84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationBelvidere, IL
  • Goldwing Model:1500
  • Model Year:1995
  • First Name:Dan

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

I have a raccoon that is the size of a small dog that comes in my backyard at night. Anna my oldest daughter woke me up at 11PM one night when she was taking her dog out. I jumped up grabbed my pistol thinking someone had broke in. I called out for my daughter are you ok. She said no there is a raccoon in the back yard. Me and my wife were on the floor dieing in laughter. 

• kamikaze84 and pearl rider like this

#4 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

This one got relocated 3 miles from here in a nice woods.  It was one POed critter.  At least we know what to use for bait, a potato that had been cooked with some beef.  If some one sees a coon with purple on its back they will probably do a double take.  Cute critters and intelligent enough to get a bait can out of a cage trap before the trap snaps shut. Well at least until the can is hooked to the end of the cage.

#5 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

Tuesday afternoon Estella and the home health lady went out to look at the flowers blooming.  The lady looked into the scooter house to see if her favorite cat was in there.  That is a build out from the rear deck that I mounted a camper shell on so I could drive my big scooter into and close the doors.  Well the big scooter is now relegated to the outside closet (40' shipping container) and the scooter house became a catch all and where Estella feeds the cats.  Up on the cat lounging shelf they saw a raccoon.  So Estella went back in and got my camera and took this photo.  So this afternoon she set the trap on the deck and while I was fixing supper she happened to look out the mud room door and the coon was nosing around the trap trying to get to the potato from the back side.  We hoped we would actually get to see it getting the tater, trip the trap but not get caught.  Instead it wandered down the steps between the scooter house and the home.

Supposed to rain most of the night and Estella is worried that the coon will get caught and be stuck out in the rain.  I told her if she wanted to get up every 20 minutes during the night, go out into the rain to check the trap and if it is in there set it in the scooter house out of the rain she could.  Finally convinced her raccoons are mostly water proof.  

We have a big white cat belonging to the neighbor a mile away who sneaks into the cat food.  We know it is one of his because we have tracked it thru the woods when there is snow on the ground.  We call him "The Ghost" and it fits him.  He was the alpha tom but got deposed a couple years ago.  Neighbor has at least a dozen white cats around his place and the alpha tom there now is not one I would like to tangle with.  

Just want only our outside cats to eat what Estella feeds them.

IMG_1397_zpsvbigjanr.jpg

#6 DaveO430

DaveO430

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationAmity ar.
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800
  • Model Year:2010
  • First Name:David

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

My Mom has had a lot of trouble with coons. Once she trapped one and call the game & fish, an officer came out, looked at it in the trap, pulled his gun and shot it right then and there there. Now she just sends them on to coon heaven herself.

#7 DougW

DougW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationClymer NY
  • Goldwing Model:1500SE
  • Model Year:1994
  • First Name:Doug

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

With the way raccoons carry rabies and the fact they are rather prolific, applying the the 3S's (shoot, shovel, and shut up) is not a bad idea.  I understand there are people who would be appalled at destroying nuisance animals, but sometimes it is the only thing that can be done in the interest of safety for one's family.

#8 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

This battle with coons is getting very personal.  Went out this morning and found several of my tomato plants had been dug out last night.  I cut some squares out of chicken wire fence and cut a slot so they could be slipped around the stems.  Then reset the cages with the legs thru the wire. Hopefully it will dissuade the bandits.  Came around the corner of the outside closet and there was a rabbit.  I shut the 3 wheeler off and we sat there and eyeballed each other for several minutes until a cat noticed it and the rabbit departed.  

Today was planting and transplanting day for Estella's Hosta garden.  It is about 30 x 60 and she has almost 140 plants in there.  Some of them get 4' across.  Also planted a hardy banana tree.  Danged farm store had plants on sale.  She actually got 6 new Hosta varieties.  We also went to Lowes and hit their clearance racks on plants.  Filled a cart basket for less than $5.  Saw a 3' tall urn style planter that normally sold for $80.  Someone had dropped it and broke a corner on the base.  Fiberglass and I have the mat and resin to fix it.  Found the lawn and garden manager and worked out a deal for $5 bucks.  He could not give it away but could sell it for almost nothing.  Supposed to rain tomorrow and the next few days so I am sure it will be high on "HER" priority list.

Talked to the construction sales manager about concrete bags that are broken open.  Hopefully I can work out a penny on the dollar for them.  Who knows? Just might make for some cheap concrete projects.  Have some art projects that will require solid anchoring.  

OH how did I forget this request from the supreme household commander.  She wants a walk bridge about 20' long to go over the big ditch so she can "get to the other side".  Actually that will probably be the easiest project to do.  I have the pipe and the portable welder and non of it requires climbing like the tractor building did.  AIN'T wives a constant source of "Honey, COULD YOU BUILD OR DO ????!"

#9 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:58 AM

New raccoon disposal site.  We have a neighbor from 2 miles away come by looking for his dogs.  Too put it nicely the guy is a drunk.  He was really sloshed when he stopped here with his 4 wheeler ATV.  He basically accused me of going over to his house and letting his dogs out of his house.  That is something I tool personal this time as before he would simply ask if we had seen them, which we had a couple times before.  Back when we collected aluminum cans for sale the ditches leading to his house were always the honey hole of can collecting.

We have trapped 2 more raccoons, one while we were working in the yard not 20' from the trap.  So those 2 and all others are getting relocated to his house location.  Just stop out front and release them.  Maybe his dogs will stay home and play with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users