*** North American Summer Rally - NASR 10 "Let us take you back" July 11-13, 2017 Seneca Rocks WV *** NASR 10 Information

Photo
- - - - -

Tow-Pac + 4.5 degree Rake Kit and riding on 2 wheels

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 dadztoy

dadztoy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown,Tennessee
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800 Level III
  • Model Year:2009
  • First Name:Les

Posted A week ago

Well, I have asked for a long time if it were possible to ride safely on 2 wheels with a 4.5 degree rake kit after removing my Tow-Pac trike kit and usually the answer was a resounding no - you'll die if you try it !!!   It was my thinking that perhaps handling would be somewhat different, but it seemed as though it might work, so I decided to try it...  After all, radically raked choppers have been around for a long time...

Well, I added a Traxxion 4.5 degree rake kit a while back and today was the first ride on 2 wheels with the rake kit and I am happy to report the ride was uneventful and successful...

OK - the explanation and usual disclaimers... This worked for me - no problems and very few issues... I will explain my setup and my initial perceptions, then tell you I take no responsibility for your experiences doing the same - like I said, the usual disclaimers, which unfortunately one has to do in the litigious society we live in today......

My bike is a 2009 Goldwing, Level III... I run double darkside with a Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS (run flat in the rear) and a Battlax BT-45 up front... Yoko tire pressure is 24PSI and BT-45 tire pressure is 41PSI...

What I notice riding with the 4.5 degree rake kit...

1. Steering seems like it may be a tad more sensitive... The jury is still out on this since it's been a while since I have ridden on 2 wheels and this may just be my issue after riding with the Tow-Pac for so long.. I'll report more on this as I ride more this week...

2. It seems as though more steering effort is required as you approach the lock or end of steering input... I also noticed this as I backed out from the garage and turned the bars almost full lock - they seemed to want to spring back... Again, more data is required before I say this is absolutely true...

3. Stability in corners and sweepers seems about the same and overall handling is pretty close to what it used to be... A few short sessions of hands off the bars showed no instability the same as it was before the rake kit was installed...

4. I thought initially the bike tried to tuck in a bit in an exaggerated turn but again, it could have been me and the lack of riding on two wheels for a while... I'll ride some more this week and report back again on my findings and perceptions...With the above comments noted, I see no issues riding the bike on 2 wheels with the 4.5 degree rake kit installed...

I should comment that I am one that is very in tune with my vehicles, and my bike is no different... My comments above on sensitivity and increased steering effort are what I first noticed as I was riding, and I will continue to ride and report back any additional findings, but from my initial first impressions, the bike seems very rideable on 2 wheels with the 4.5 degree rake kit installed, and no I did NOT instantly die while riding, or even have any bad things happen during the entire length of the 200 mile ride today...

Again, your impressions and experiences may differ depending on bike make, model, equipment, etc, etc, but from my perspective, I see no issues riding my Wing with the 4.5 degree rake kit on 2 wheels...

Les

ON EDIT - Having written this on a few other forums over a week ago, I have since ridden nearly 1000 miles on 2 wheels with the rake kit on 2 wheels...  My only lasting perception is that there needs to be increased steering input in sharp turns both at low speed and high speed, and backing out of the garage requires more steering effort, but other than that, handling is about the same...  I need a new BT-45 up front as it is cupping pretty badly and is very noisy and buzzy in turns, so it's a bit difficult to give a complete final impression until I get the new BT-45 installed... 

I hope this post helps some who have asked the same question and were told it couldn't be safely done...  I don't believe that I would go any more than the aforementioned 4.5 degree rake as trail starts to become very minimal with a 6 degree kit,  and stability would probably be affected, so your on your own with anything more than the 4.5 degree rake...  BTW, the Traxxion 4.5 degree rake kit I added really helped out with the trike steering effort and makes the bike a pleasure to ride with the Tow-Pac kit installed..  Traxxion sells this kit including new All Balls roller bearings and fork extensions for 600 dollars which is about the lowest price I have ever seen for a rake kit...  It is a quality kit CNC machined from billet aluminum...  I'm running Traxxion 1.1kg/mm springs in my forks so it's a good fit for me...

#2 youngnbald

youngnbald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL
  • Goldwing Model:Comfort with Navi
  • Model Year:2006
  • First Name:Mark

Posted 5 days ago

LOL!  As I read this, I saw that you would be ruffling feathers on lots of people!!!  Then to read your double darkside on top of it!!!  LOL!  I am double darkside and so many nay sayers.  I am still here and ride harder than these nay sayers.

It was interesting that the steering required more input.  I felt that when I went from my E3 front tire to a rear tire design.  After a few turns, it didn't matter any more.  You ride the bike and except its traits.  If I get onto someone else's setup, it will be a few turns and no big deal all over again.

Glad you gave this a try and proved similar results I witnessed going darkside.  We are still here and yet people are going to complain.

#3 dadztoy

dadztoy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown,Tennessee
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800 Level III
  • Model Year:2009
  • First Name:Les

Posted 2 days ago

Actually Mark, one of the reasons I did go double dark was tire wear with the Tow Pac kit on...  Only got 8K miles out of my last set of Bridgestone G704/709 tires with the trike kit on about 50% of the time...  Most recent mileage check was 17K on my Yoko and a bit over 21K on my BT-45...

Regarding the rake kit, I surmised that there would be some difference in handling but should be rideable...  After all, guys have been riding raked choppers for a long time and surviving...  True, it's not quite the same thing as a "raked front end" as we actually know it, as a rake kit decreases trail and not rake, but still, I thought it would work - - - and it did...

I have seen a lot of questions regarding this issue over on the trike forum and the conversations were running about 50/50 on whether it would work or not...  I have never been one to take someone elses word on whether or not something will work or not and I just had to prove it to myself...  Hope it helps others who have had the same questions...  It sure makes the trike a lot easier to steer with the trike kit on...

BTW, I am 71 and have been riding for about 45 years and will do anything I can to keep riding...  This extends my riding career a bit longer I hope!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GL1800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users