*** North American Summer Rally - NASR 10 "Let us take you back" July 11-13, 2017 Seneca Rocks WV *** NASR 10 Information

Photo
- - - - -

Hannigan 180 front tire pressure

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 jobe05

jobe05

• Moderators
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationKing NC
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800, GL1500
  • Model Year:2001, 1989
  • First Name:John

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

When I got my trike, I called Hannigan to get some info on the Gen II kit and the 180 front end, specifically tire pressure on the 180.  I was told to run 42psi.  When I asked about tire longevity, they couldn't answer because the kit hadn't been out that long.  I ran 42 psi but the tire rubbed the inside fork leg, so I lowered it to 40 psi which solved the rubbing issue, but, after 21k mikes, the tire started cupping and riding really rough.  On my way back from Georgia a couple weeks ago I ordered a new tire so I could get the cupped rough riding tire off.

While I was waiting for the tire to come in I got online and did some searches for the proper tire pressure for this front end set up.  I found a blog from a guy who has the same front end, experiencing the same issues except his tire started cupping at  40k miles.  He figured he couldn't hurt the tire anymore by experimenting with it so he played with lowering his pressure and ended up at 35 psi.  He said his cupping went away and the front end rides a lot less harsh than it had.

So with new tire now in hand, I figured before I change it I would give that a try.  I lowered the pressure to 35 psi and low and behold after a couple hundred miles, the cupping is almost gone and the ride is much smoother.  There's still a dead spot on the tire from the PO letting it sit in one spot for 2 + years, but the cupping is gone.  So I'm going to leave this tire on and see what a lower pressure does for me. 

Has anyone else ever tried lowering the PSI to stop cupping?  With any success?

I guess my only concern is with the sideways pressure the tire has to take around corners, will it stay on the bead?

#2 DougW

DougW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationClymer NY
  • Goldwing Model:1500SE
  • Model Year:1994
  • First Name:Doug

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

John, What is the tire you are running? Also what is the pressure rating on the side of the tire? If I recall you have wide fork on that and are using a car tire on it. If so 40 PSI sounds like a lot of air for the weight you are putting on the tire. A lower pressure will pretty sure give a softer ride and I doubt that lowering the pressure to 35 would allow the tire do drop off the bead, I would think it would stay on even at 10 PSI. If the tire has flexible sidewalls the lower pressure might make the steering a little mushy in the turns but you likely won't notice it unless you are pushing it through the twisty's. Best bet is to try it, don't hot rod the corners too much until you can tell if the handling is affected, and see how the wear does.

#3 jobe05

jobe05

• Moderators
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationKing NC

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

No car tire on the front (yet)......

I'm running a Michelin Commander II rear motorcycle tire.

#4 Ghost Rider 2

Ghost Rider 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts
  • LocationDowns, Illinois
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800
  • Model Year:2002 & 2014
  • First Name:Jerry

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

Don't know about a Hannigan but on my wife Roadsmith I run 36 pounds works great and no cupping.

#5 Geordiemuppet

Geordiemuppet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBoldon Colliery, England
  • Goldwing Model:GL1800, GL1000
  • Model Year:2015, 1975
  • First Name:Paul

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

Chris is running the newish Avon Cobra trike tyre on the front of her CSC with 6 degree rake at about 40psi. Handling is good compared with previous Dunlop Elite 3. Don't know about mileage yet, but will be sticking with these.

#6 jobe05

jobe05

• Moderators
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationKing NC

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

Changing the tire out today.  What a nightmare with the 180 front tire.  Have to take the rotors off before the wheel will come out due to the added width of the rim, the brake calipers will not come out around the rim........

So it looks like Im doing brake pads at the same time if I can find an OEM set locally......

#7 jobe05

jobe05

• Moderators
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationKing NC

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

I got the brake pads and got everything changed out and put back together.  Took it for a ride and what a huge difference the new tire makes.  The PO let the bike sit for about 3 years before selling it to the dealer I got it from.  The tire was still in good shape, but I think it had a flat spot from sitting for so long.

The rears will be next.  I have a new Yokohama Avid Envigor run flat in the garage, thinking of just ordering another one and put Run Flats on the back and see how they do,  Has Kumhos on it right now, but I don't care for them.  After almost 22K miles they seem pretty warn out.

#8 AZgl1800

AZgl1800

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationLake Oologah, OK
  • Model Year:2002

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

glad to hear itall worked out well John

#9 DaveO430

DaveO430

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationAmity ar.
  • Model Year:2010
  • First Name:David

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

I guess my only concern is with the sideways pressure the tire has to take around corners, will it stay on the bead?

Do tires on a car stay on the bead running lower pressure than that even?

#10 jobe05

jobe05

• Moderators
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationKing NC

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

Do tires on a car stay on the bead running lower pressure than that even?

Since it's on the front of the bike, and a different force, lower pressures than the tire calls for is a concern.  If my car tire (On my car) is designed for 36psi, and I run 35, I wouldn't consider that an issue.

On a motorcycle, with a motorcycle tire designed to run at 42 psi, running 35 psi going around a 25 MPH curve at 55 or 60, could be concerning...........  Not just with me, but many that I have talked that have the 180 front end.

When I had the new tire installed, I made a few adjustments to the front end to better align the tire to center of the forks like it's suppose to be.  so running 42psi doesn't seem to be an issue right now with rubbing like I had. 

They say a Kit, regardless of Manufacturer, is only as good as the installer who installed it.  I suspect whoever the installer was, was not that good at doing the install, not just on the front end, which would have been new to them at the time of install, but on the whole kit.  I am going to have the Auxiliary fuel tank put on, and when I do, I will take it right to Hannigan and have them go through the whole thing.

#11 Indianawantsme

Indianawantsme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSchnellville,IN. USA
  • Goldwing Model:GL800
  • Model Year:2012
  • First Name:Steve

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

Not a trike John but my old 88 did not like higher than 36psi in the front BT45 running forward direction and Progressive springs...     I tried higher and the tire started cupping worse than at 36psi and it smoothed out again to the little bit of cupping it was doing at 36psi.    

15k on the tire when i sold the 88 and the buyer thought it was a new tire. 

Metzelers did better also on 88 at 36psi. when i was told to run 41psi. so that it didn't cup.     Felt every bump and the tire cupped at 41psi.

#12 Monkeytrucker

Monkeytrucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationSt. Francisville, IL USA
  • Goldwing Model:1800
  • Model Year:10
  • First Name:Gary

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

Stop cupping by putting balance beads in the tire.  A free running tire (non driving) tire will tend to pile the tread up in front of the contact point. If the tire does not stay in balance that will lead to the cupping.  Never believed in them but now are a believer.  Trucking companies believe in them.  On cars we rotate tires to make the tread last longer because of mis-aligned and out of balance front tires.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GL1800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users