NAGF News Ticker
  • New Arrivals!!!
  • The NAGF Online Store...
  • AND
  • The NEW Classifieds System (Adverts)...
  • ARE NOW ONLINE!!!
  • Each with a detailed "Walkthrough" available
  • Check the New Dropdown Menu for Access...
thecruiser

Pa's Route 6

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

thecruiser

I'm thinking of Rides to go on next summer...

Has anyone ridden US-6 through Pa?  I'm thinking maybe a week + or -.

Anyone have pics to share? Will probably camp in my Mini-Mate.

Larry

brianinpa

No pictures for you, but it is a nice ride.  I've been on all of it, just not all at once nor at the same time of the year.  Summer time is nice because of the green and the shade helps to keep the heat down - just avoid July 4th time completely.  The little towns get crowded around 2:00 for parades and picnics and traffic is a bear and I don't mean the four legged kind.

Autumn is even better because of the fall foliage, but half of the Pennsyltuckians from down South have the same idea so traffic is heavier.

• Like 1

thecruiser

I've heard/read about US 6 in PA for quite a while now. Just wanna do somethings different this next Riding season.

Thanks for your input, Brian.

brianinpa

When I first read your post and saw a week I was thinking that may be too much time.  If you stop at every place there is to see, every little shop, or every town, a week may be just enough time to do it.

thecruiser

Brian,

I'm from Michigan! I like to Ride the slower roads. Besides, On my way, I gatta stop by Cincinnati and Ride a day with my Retired and Riding friends.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/559799894043212/

• Like 1

DougW

I live about 6 miles from Rt 6, just into NY state and ride the western portion of it often. 

The road itself is very nice most of the way, it passes through quite a few towns and small cities.

There are tons of things to do along the way with some very nice trips such as Kinzua dam and Allegheny Reservoir, Route 666 is only a few miles away, the Kinzua bridge state park, the PA lumber museum, and the Grand Canyon of PA come to mind on the spur of the moment.  I have not really traveled it east of Wellsboro but I now we have a couple of members from that area who will be able to help out on that section.

Truthfully a week might would not be too long, in fact you might want a little more time than that because you could map out your return to travel back across either central or southern PA or back across southern NY and have a lot of things to do along your way there as well.

• Like 1

thecruiser

Thanks Doug, That's the stuff I was looking for. I like the 'stops-along-the-way'. That's what makes the Rides interesting.

Forget where I got it now but Wellsboro was mentioned as a great 'small town' to visit. Could have been the Roadside America website.

Thanks again.

Road Runner

Larry - you had better stop and do a R & R ride when coming down from the frozen north! ...  :thumbs-up: 

• Like 1

thecruiser

Larry - you had better stop and do a R & R ride when coming down from the frozen north! ...  :thumbs-up: 

For sure Jim, was always part of the plan. Stopping in for a Ride on the way to the Darksider's R/I too!  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

thecruiser

I live about 6 miles from Rt 6, just into NY state and ride the western portion of it often. 

The road itself is very nice most of the way, it passes through quite a few towns and small cities.

There are tons of things to do along the way with some very nice trips such as Kinzua dam and Allegheny Reservoir, Route 666 is only a few miles away, the Kinzua bridge state park, the PA lumber museum, and the Grand Canyon of PA come to mind on the spur of the moment.  I have not really traveled it east of Wellsboro but I now we have a couple of members from that area who will be able to help out on that section.

Truthfully a week might would not be too long, in fact you might want a little more time than that because you could map out your return to travel back across either central or southern PA or back across southern NY and have a lot of things to do along your way there as well.

Doug, I have received quite a bit of literature from the state of PA. I'm thinkin' I may need to move there for about 10 years just to see it all. 

There are other commitments throughout the summer too. Next year is our 50th anniversary and we have a big family get-together planned to celebrate. Also my wife has a BIG TRIP planned for us... with reservations made... (mo-money) 

There are a few holes in the Riding season for this trip in June, Aug and late Sept/Oct. Right now, I'm leaning heavily toward a Fall Ride. I know it a busy time of the year with all the leaf-peepers but that's why I would want to be there too.

Given the high temps in the summer, Fall is my favorite time of the year to Ride.  

If all my Riding ideas come to fruition, it will be a busy time indeed. This year was cut short because of the pain in my back and legs. Having a Laminectomy and fusion on my back in August, Next year will be the first in many years that I will be able to Ride completely pain free. PTL!  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

winger77

Like Doug,,, I live very near RT6 (at the other end) and ride it often. I generally take a few rides out to the Pa. Grand Canyon outside of  Wellsboro. It's really just a big Gorge with lookout points, but the ride is great.

Also just a few miles east of Wellsboro is a real nice State Park for camping, "Hills Creek SP".

From there heading East there are several more little towns to pass through, but I don't bother to explore them really, just ride through. The ride is nice and goes along the Susquehanna River at different points. There is a nice lookout point (pull off) just west of Wyalusing,, can;t miss it really.

Wondering how much of it you plan to ride. After Tunkhannock ,, it joins with RT-11 into the Scranton area (not too pleasant) till it picks back up again near Carbondale.  

thecruiser

Pretty much most of the way across PA. Was thinking of coming back across NY state but mu CPL isn't legal there so won't be spending any money there. Probably come back by way of mid or southern PA.

thecruiser

A followup... I never made this trip. Very disappointing but life got in the way including three surgeries.

I am one the mend but it will take a while. Hopefully I will be Riding by the time we get to Florida for the winter.

• Like 1