NAGF News Ticker
  • New Feature!!!
  • The Tutorial Feature has Launched With Its First Tutorial...
  • "Using Classified Adverts"
  • Be Sure To Check It Out...
  • By Clicking On "Tutorials" In The Menu!!!
  • AND...
  • Watch For More Tutorials On The Way!
Sign in to follow this  
Dusty Boots

Finally, after 3 years, my HF trailer build

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Dusty Boots

Just thought I'd share with you the steps I went through when building myself a cargo trailer earlier this year. .........

I bought a HF trailer kit 3 years ago for $142 out the door with a 20% off coupon and a friend of mine gave me a hardtop cargo carrier. Yup .... it sat around collecting dust and getting in the way for 3 years. rolleyes.gif

After much ribbing from a friend about when was I going to build my trailer, I finally got off my Arse and started to plan it out about a month ago.

My buddy Les who has a MIG Welder had a few free days, so a week ago we started in on building it, after I collected the items I wanted to customize it with. (I still have to add some flexible white LED strip lighting to light up the interior and am waiting for another roll of red (similar to these), to add as running lights on the two 'bumperettes' on the rear)I added a couple of small rear bumpers with rubber end caps so I can stand it up on end in the garage to save space and make room for my bike.While it's not quite done yet, it is road ready and I hauled it around a bit tonight and it pulls great.

Here's a few shots of the build ...

This is my Buddy Les, as we're laying it out in prep for cutting and welding the frame rails and axle

8761606448_a38dbd008a.jpg

8761605698_4af753bc37.jpg

8760480751_5f22e5e4f8.jpg

Instead of cutting out a piece of the axle and then welding it back together, a friend gave me the idea to grind off the welds on the stub axle and remove it 1st and then cut the needed amount off of the one end of the axle and then re-weld the stub axle back in place, which we did.

Here we are getting ready to set the stub axle back in place to re-weld it

8760477717_becb6c2721.jpg

I wanted to make sure the tongue was long enough so I wouldn't get any sway from too short a tongue, so I moved it up to the 1st cross member of the frame and used some bed frames to weld to the outside of the tongue and ran those back, welding and bolting them to the other cross members.

8761604124_9c74b9e60a.jpg

Next came fabricating some mounts for the plastic fenders I picked up for $18/pair.

8760479593_66027ccf8d.jpg

8760479523_79fa886962.jpg

Next we welded up a cooler rack and added the stabilizer jack I got for $16.95, from etrailer.com

8761602646_f44dbcfd0e.jpg

8760479239_27344b6d52.jpg

Next came the fabrication of the two rear 'Bumperettes' I got Les to weld the nuts for the end cap bolts on the back side of the 3" flat bar, so they would be hidden inside the square tubing to be welded on the the flat bar and the trailer's rear frame cross member.

8761601508_52848ee270.jpg

Next came a test fit and then welding on the Bumperettes.

8761601306_54dbdf9ecc.jpg

8760474777_b8287ebda4.jpg

Sharp eyes will note that I decided to cut off the rear portion of the tongue extensions, to facilitate fitting my wiring junction box to the rear cross member. You can also see the spare tire mount we welded on to the tongue extension, ahead of the axle and that we ran the leaf springs (removed the shorter helper spring) under the axle to lower the trailer's centre of gravity.

Ok, done with the welding, so I loaded it up in my van to finish it off at home

8761606152_83bc75a81e.jpg

Once at home, I ground down the welds and sprayed the frame a primer coat of flat black. Then a friend gave me the suggestion to add a couple of coats of spray on truck bed liner to help prevent rock chips/rust. Good advice there, as I really liked the results! thumb.gif

Next came mounting the cargo box and adding some lights. I rolled it outside to see what it looked like with my cooler on the rack

8760319307_f536e9b50a.jpg

8760318305_8f369a30e1.jpg

I got a large piece of 1 1/2" thick closed cell foam for $9 to line the bottom with and added some anchor points to the bottom of the box.

8760886821_633407cb24.jpg

8761600664_0375940749.jpg

Now, to add some running lights and a set of Slimline LED lights in the lid and wire the whole thing up!

8761892014_611785ea73_z.jpg

8760766125_d078e85c7e.jpg

8761891314_dc932d9274.jpg

8760765321_9913f69401_z.jpg

8761889256_2fffbf6bf9.jpg

It all gets run back into the junction box where it all gets hooked up ....

8761891986_c08f018010.jpg

and this is how it sits as of tonight, although I still have more lighting to add to it.

8761441562_47dc614a74_c.jpg

8761442072_23a1bf5e79_c.jpg

In my garage ....

8761441782_a62895000a_c.jpg

Like I said, I had it out for a brief test ride tonight and took it up to 120 kph/75 mph and despite it being empty, it pulled great! thumb.gif

I then added a strip of flexible, waterproof white LEDs to the interior to light up the inside at night so I can find what I'm looking for.

8878779518_da252f5c1c_c.jpg

and the garage overhead light off ....

8878161025_31ef55d9a8_c.jpg

I can see this little puppy going places! wink.gif

Since the build earlier in the year, I have towed this trailer for over 10,000 mi around the country this past summer and really like it, as it tows great and it gets all the weight off the bike, onto another set of axles.:banana:

9382001554_19353c7c91_z.jpg

11175047406_3be0e28c07_z.jpg

10472645373_e29c1b3c5d_z.jpg

Dusty

• Like 1

m2102

Very nice Dusty. I really like the lites I the back of the trailer

mort952

Nice :COOL:

Joep

Yeah nice.. I am adding a deck under mine... the box where it mounts is breaking up so got a replacement box... Just something to think about... btw where did you get the tongue jack from? i need to have some sort of kick stand for mine..that looked interesting.. Nice setup.. are you using secondary battery for the interior lights??

Dusty Boots

No, the battery in the photo was just to see what the LED strip looked like lit up after I installed them, as I hadn't yet hooked them up to my running lights, so they only light up if I have the ignition turned on.

I got the tongue stand and the LED Slimline 3 way lights from etrailer.com

I lined the tops of all the frame rails with some 1/8" thick adhesive backed closed cell foam tape to help cushion the bottom of the box. With the addition of the 1 1/2" thick closed cell foam lining the bed of the box and the large fender washers under the heads of the mounting bolts to help spread the load out over a larger area, there has been no issues with the box showing any signs of cracking as of yet, with 10K of use.

11504700184_a04cccebd3_z.jpg

11504899296_2c23e7cf16_z.jpg

8761600664_0375940749_z.jpg

Joep

Mine had 2x4 blocks installed by the po and they cracked under those.. found them when getting ready to remove the original box..

dwsonar

Nicely done. I guess there's still hope for me. I've had my trailer for 2 years, haven't finished putting it together yet.

Dusty Boots

Thanks!

The reason for such a long delay in building it was that I wasn't sure if I'd like pulling a trailer, due to my riding 'style', but after tugging it around everywhere from here to Atlanta to the New England States to MI's UP this past season, there is/was no reason to think that, as I can still drag my pegs in corners (like on US 421 "The Snake") and doing 85+ mph on Interstates, without the trailer slowing me down any. :COOL:

Dusty

m2102

since the day I got my trailer I still look in the mirror to make sure it is still there. not one to get overly aggressive in curves, especially riding 2 up. the voices in my head would prevent me from doing so

m2102

did you hinge the lid Dusty or just lift it off? I found a place where I can get hinges but haven't been in a hurry yet. maybe come next year some time. I do want to get the cover for a cooler from time out trailers. just about everything you can get on their trailers you can get separate for your own

Dusty Boots

I removed the original lid stays, as they prevented the lid from opening very far (30*)

11515074914_df7ba9aaa4_c.jpg

and added extension bars to them, but was unhappy with the results. :hmm:

So, I removed them completely and used some aircraft aluminum cable that allowed the lid to open up to roughly 110*, (allowing me to run the wiring for the Slimline LED lights in the rear of the lid up on and attached with zip ties) which made loading/unloading the trailer a lot easier. :dance:

8878779518_da252f5c1c_c.jpg

m2102

the lid on yours looks to be the same over lap style as mine. where did you get the hinges and was it a pain to locate on the lid?

Joep

Yeah Dave still hope... my project stalled with my shoulder replacement.... now gotta get back to work on it...

Dusty Boots

[user=3766]m2102[/user] wrote:

the lid on yours looks to be the same over lap style as mine. where did you get the hinges and was it a pain to locate on the lid?

The hinges (OEM ?) were on the cargo carrier when it was given to me. :baffled:

dwsonar

There's a couple things holding me back. The cargo carrier I bought is kind of long. No access to a torch and welding machine is another. Plus, I keep thinking I'll find the perfect box. I've been looking for some kind of plastic boat. Something I can cut around the edge, and hinge it. Like one of the kids rides that used to be outside the stores.

dwsonar

I need to get moving on it. If we head to Michigan this spring, it'll come in handy.

m2102

Thanks Dusty. I can get some from HF I think will work

fysty-1

Typical of this old broad, a year late. Oh well. That is one pretty little trailer Ken. Is there a thoughts of a trip out to the wet coast? Very nice job there Ken. ride safe. Cheers Angela :clap::clap::egypt::egypt:

Dusty Boots

Hi Angela! :wave:

While I did make a trip part way out west this year to Gillette, WY. to pick up a new to me Aspen Sentry camper, I did have thoughts of 'going all the way' next year .... until one of my twin daughters informed me she has set a date of Sept 19 next year to get married, so next year is off as well.

Current line of thinking is 2016 ....

fysty-1

Mike contact Thule industries for the hinges. I sent away for new locks as the ones I had were badly corroded.

Ken, because I used a different box that had flimsy little clasps & sorta hinges so I took all the hardware off the Thule box I had bot first bit the 18cu. ft. was not big enough so I found a 22 or 24? My box is the same as Vegaswingnut's trailer. I through out the lid stay as the bigger box had a older style stay that is 18" & altho' it too only let the lid sit @ 45o, I discovered that I can just remove the bolt from the bottom end & move it father back & the lid will be vertical. See all pics in gallery:woohoo::egypt::egypt:

Attached files 182572=6188-5620_102134_240000000.jpg

fysty-1

[user=919]fysty-1[/user] wrote:

Mike contact Thule industries for the hinges. I sent away for new locks as the ones I had were badly corroded.

Ken, because I used a different box that had flimsy little clasps & sorta hinges so I took all the hardware off the Thule box I had bot first bit the 18cu. ft. was not big enough so I found a 22 or 24? My box is the same as Vegaswingnut's trailer. I through out the lid stay as the bigger box had a older style stay that is 18" & altho' it too only let the lid sit @ 45o, I discovered that I can just remove the bolt from the bottom end & move it father back & the lid will be vertical. See all pics in gallery:woohoo::egypt::egypt:

I couldn't get the second pic to post :doh::baffled:

Attached files 182573=6189-IMG067.jpg

fysty-1

This is darned frustrating. I couldn't get 2 pics to post so I posted just the one then hit the quote button & said as much & uploaded the second pic, & the first disappeared. Well here goes with the first one again.

Attached files 182574=6190-5620_102134_240000000.jpg

wingman05

Very nice looking trailer.