By: John Craig, AZgl1800
For the last nine years the name NASSIR (North American Steve Saunders International Rally) has been synonymous with great times and good memories shared with friends both old and new. The use of this particular name has solidly tied our summer rallies to goldwingfacts.com (Steve’s forum). In 2012 Steve sold the forum to Vertical Scope which created a legal bond between them and the use of the names Steve Saunders and NASSIR became proprietary. As hard as we all have tried, things were never quite the same for our forum community after the sale and being owned by a corporate giant has made forum life difficult at best, especially as it pertains to our annual M&G. In an attempt to renew interest in our family oriented summer meet and greets it has been decided that a name change is in order so that we can legally disassociate ourselves with the Steve Saunders and NASSIR names as well as the very commercialized Vertical Scope organization.
Therefore, NASSIR 9 will be the last Summer Rally with the NASSIR name. Going forward we will retain the numbering sequence however it will become, simply, the “Summer Rally”. Our next annual meet and greet will be held on July 11, 12 & 13, 2017 and will be called “Summer Rally 10 Seneca Rocks WV or SR-10 for short. Additional detailed information can be found at the link provided below.
In addition, the NAGF Community ownership has graciously offered to become the primary sponsor of our annual Summer Rally and will provide us with a friendly and non-commercialized home for our event coordination free of charge. This will include event information hosting, discussion threads and even a dedicated online storefront for making event signups and purchases easier to manage and track. Thus, going forward, information concerning all of the details for our Summer Rallies will be found on the North American Goldwings Forum at http://www.northamer...eneca-rocks-wv/. There you will find many of the familiar names/faces you are already acquainted with. Please feel free to link back to that information from whatever forum you choose to call home or, if you are so inclined, create an account there and pull up a chair!
Looking forward to seeing you next July!!!
Message from Flyone:
The feedback I have received from members is that there is some confusion and questions concerning John's announcement at the N9 auction in Sioux Falls, SD about the steering committee and it's role, our event's history being removed, the name, etc. etc.
You will see a FAQ later once I hear from more members of commonly asked questions which I will keep updated.
A few concerns that I want to make known from the phone calls I received today that needs to be said immediately:
1. Event Steering Committee - The roles and responsibilities of this group is to search for possible hosts and locations for future events which is to help to keep this event going in the future which I believe is the goal of all members! If we don't have a host or location, we don't have the event.
This group's sole vision is to not let this happen and we are dedicated to take the workload to continue to search for a host/location so this is not a burden to the membership for future events. We will assist the new hosts with what they need to have a successful event and what members want at these events. Facilities etc is very important Information! No Summer Rally (or whatever the members decide to call it) will never be exactly the same due to locations and/or hosts. That's the beauty of these events and nobody wants the same exact thing every year. The mission of this group is members doing things for the members! This group IS NOT a dictatorship!
I also heard that the impression was that "the committee will make ALL decisions for the events and that members won't have input" This is the farthest from the truth.
2. History of NASSIR - All of us that has put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this event feel the same way and no one can ever take this away! This was never designed to eliminate the history. The design was to keep this event alive and well for the future.
3. Name change - John's letter explains the legal aspect of this. Members have imput on what to call it. Make your suggestions!
4. Is this event going to turn into a "Wing Ding"? - For all of us who was at the first event or any of the preceeding events know that it was designed for members to get together to meet people, old friends and new friends alike. It was never designed to have vendors or be a commercial event. This is part of the reason why it is hosted and sponsored on NAGF so this doesn't happen and you don't have to pay any admission fee to attend. This is a meet and greet where good people can get together and have fun!
Please remember that this planning and next year's event was put together at the request of John Craig and Goldwingfacts.com in about two weeks. Not to be negative about any recent events, there were some interesting dynamics at this year's event and being the NASSIR Coordinator for the first 8 years, the goal and mission has been and always be to keep these events going and meet the expectations of the members that has attended before. This is what we are doing as a committee.
Not everyone will agree with everything, that's human nature but I want you to know that I and this committee has the exact same vision that you do which is to keep this event going, preserve its history and provide members a place to see old friends and meet new ones like all of us have done for the past 9 years.
Please remember that if you have any concerns, comments, or questions PM me. I will be glad to discuss anything that is on your mind.
- Parman, Bamaeagle, brianinpa and 13 others like this